What do you know about metal detectors?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to take a hastily planned trip in a few days and I've got a question for you all. Would an airport metal detector pick up a few ounces of titanium?

The only reason I ask is that with the previous taking of clippers and such, I don't want to risk loosing a fairly expensive tool as it may be misconstrued as a weapon (just like those dangerous fingernail clippers and knitting needles)and I'd rather have it with me than in checked bags. I've lost checked bags in the past and this item is a sentimental gift.

I don't plan on sending it throught the conveyor belt unless I can take it out of my bag immediately afterwards and I was just going to keep it in my pocket where it usually stays. Let me know what you guys think.

-Jason

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it's sentimental don't take it. otherwise risk loosing it.

arioch

Enlightened
I agree with tkl. The fact that you are asking whether you can get the item through a metal detector seems to indicate that you have a pretty good idea that it would not pass muster passing through the visual inspection of the s/o's there.

In these days of heightened security, if the item you mention is indeed valuable to you, I would recommend leaving it at home. Also these days, I find that there is less room to argue w/ s/o's on these things. Items that used to go through w/ no problems before will be confiscated now (and once confiscated, forget about getting it back).

If you really need it with you at your end destination, you can put it into checked luggage, but those things also go through scans these days, depending on the airline.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOST imspectors at airports will give you the option of going back to your car with something, or dropping it into an envelope to mail home. But I don't think they are required to do this and local rules are unpredictable one day to the next and also vary widely with the mood of those doing the inspections. The rules have changed, instead of listing proscribed items, it's just whatever the security folks don't like the look of.

If my spare change will set off the thing then so will your titanium whatsit. Doing without it on your trip is the best option.

EDIT: you're not going to Vegas are you?

JackBlades

Enlightened
Since you don't say what "IT" is, can we assume it's some kind of wicked two-finger knife?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Best bet is leave it at home. You can also take a SASE with you in case you need to drop it in the mail. Next time take a carbon fiber knife!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taking any kind of knife, especially a carbon fiber or plastic one, should only be attemped if you strongly desire being arrested and having all the wonderful benefits of a felony record. Duh.

That being said - have you seen these little critters? Saw them at a sporting goods show once.

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/blackie-collins-letter-opener.html

I think they're designed with the sole purpose of getting the owner into hot water.

Jason - I'd agree with leaving it home.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading that those non metallic knives had to have a strip of metal embedded inside for the purposes of metal detection, and "clean" ones for restricted use like LEO's and such. Might have been a bluff, or not- don't know for sure.

MicroE

Enlightened
Flownosaj---YES. I can tell you for a fact that most metal detectors will sense titanium. Only some of the really old ones may not, but the machines used in airports WILL.

Safety Rule for Airports==> If it looks like a weapon it IS a weapon. More than one child has been shot playing with a squirt gun.

Winger---I believe that you are referencing a California law that requires non-metallic KNIVES to have a metal component for detection. These guys are talking about letter openers. I don't know if letter openers are covered by that law. If so, then it seems that all plastic cutlery would also be covered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am not an attorney and you should talk to one about this stuff. (Or try Guncollector, he knows a lot of stuff!)---Marc

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife bought for me what looks like a minitool (the ones small enough to go on a keychain) when she was in Europe a few years back. Small pliers, screwdriver and such and has what can be called a small blade but has only been good for scraping.

She was told it was Ti, it looks like Ti and I can't pick it up with a magnet (as I have no other means to test it) so I'm assuming it is as well.

I'll just throw it in my checked luggage and hope for the best. I've always been warry as I've had luggage lost once and another time it was held at the airport for 2 weeks. I can replace clothing and other junk, but I would hate to loose this.

The 2 week deal was when I was sent to Germany to help build a tank range. I was an Engineer, I worked with explosives, I may had residue on equipment, I did have manuals on explosives.....my bags were put in a decompression chamber for 3 days and then everything was thouroughly inspected as evidenced by all the security seals and labels. I'm supprised they could get all my junk back in the duffle as it took me a while to do it initally! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had to learn to live off of what's in the carry-on.

-Jason

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MicroE said:
I believe that you are referencing a California law that requires non-metallic KNIVES to have a metal component for detection. These guys are talking about letter openers. I don't know if letter openers are covered by that law. If so, then it seems that all plastic cutlery would also be covered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
While the site does advertise them as "letter openers", I figured they'd still be regarded as knives, though. I daresay anything that could be pounded through a sheet of plywood would be regarded with disfavor by those charged with protecting us against ourselves...
So this is strictly a CA regulation, then?

Speaking of plastic cutlery, one time I went through the airport check, they put signs up specifically addressing some of the no-nos, and even plastic knives were included..

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
James- No Vegas for me. I'd love to go back there though, but it's not time for a vacation, although I think I really need one. Anything going on there this week?

You guys kill me. I ask about getting my tool taken and you all bring up the idea of "invisible" knives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Now you have me wondering if I should leave my E2e in checked bags with all the non-civilized items.

No BM 942s, no tool, no E2e, no keys--I might as well walk around the airport naked with my wallet duct-taped to my butt.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Jason

jack32088

Newly Enlightened
The TSA rules are on their web site, but they list as specific no-no's pliers and screwdrivers, so I would say that your mini multi tool is going to get taken away from you.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seemed only natural to assume you were interested in the invisibility of the "tool", since the question was whether a certain material would get picked up by the metal detectors-
Best bet is to check it; you ARE playing the odds nowadays since you can't even lock it anymore, but they're in your favor it'll make it over okay (at least I hope it still is-). Worst case generally is that it gets separated, which has happened to me), but it eventually makes its way over intact. If it's a family heirloom that's irreplaceable, leave it home, or see if there's any other mode of transportation you could use-

JackBlades

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
I might as well walk around the airport naked with my wallet duct-taped to my butt.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Duct tape is a known item of the terrorist arsenal. Better stick that wallet in a crevice of some sort........

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Duct tape is a known item of the terrorist arsenal. Better stick that wallet in a crevice of some sort........

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
-Jsaon

Catapult

Enlightened
I haven't been on an airline in more than ten years. When they serve meals, they'd give out metal forks, spoons, and knives. What do they give you these days? I'm guessing plastic sporks? Then again, even platic sporks are capable weapons too, eh?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Ti spork?

ti-spork.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Catapult said:
I haven't been on an airline in more than ten years. When they serve meals, they'd give out metal forks, spoons, an knives. What do they give you these days? I'm guessing plastic sporks? Then again, even platic sporks are capable weapons too, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
All the recent flights (short) I've been on, the "meal" consists of a bag of crackers- finger food... Can't mount much of an attack with the wrapper, short of stuffing it up somebody's nose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ti Sporks is something I never heard of- seems kinda neat actually. If someone comes up with Ti baby spoons, will there be a new generation of advantaged youth that'll be born with a titanium spoon in their mouths? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I'm gonna have to hide my own luch in one of those forementioned crevaces.

Perferably something with a wrapper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-Jason