Help me find a light please!

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all. It's been a couple years since I've been here. Couldn't locate old username... :shrug:
I've been out of the flashlight game for a couple years. It feels good to be back.
I'm looking for a new light. Something for general lighting tasks, mainly work related. I don't need something to light up a barn a mile away. Although I am looking for a good outdoor light as well, I just want to find a pocket light first.
My L1 Cree is really close to being ideal, but I'd like something a little brighter on HIGH and with a little more spill. Working up close on LOW mode can be a pain with the L1.
I reaaally like the idea of the RA Twisty. I'd like something with a simple UI like the Twisty. I don't want to have to click through a bunch of modes.
The Twisty seems ideal, but it doesn't offer a pocket clip.
Anyone have any ideas?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy and welcome back to CPF,
Since you like your L1, you might consider having CPF member Milkyspit mod it for you. If you can imagine it, he can make your L1 do it:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175864

Of course getting a brand spankin new light is fun too. I think you would probably like the RA twisty. Personally I EDC a NovaTac, and they seem to be releasing a bunch of new less complex lights at what look like pretty good prices..... so you might check them out as well.

Of course there are whole host of new lights that you should check out. Here is good review site to get you started:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

I'm sure some other folks will chime in once you give us a bit more info on what you are expecting your new light to be able to do. Have fun.

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
The mod is a good suggestion. I will consider it, but I'm also interested in a new light.
Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi NVBoy !

About that old username ... some that had been inactive for a very long time got deleted some time back in order to try to free resources for CPF.
However, as I don't know yours it might be worth it contacting an admin about it.

Now ... to th equestion at hand.

Size and budget preferences? :D

bernie

Toaster

Enlightened
Take a look at Nitecore Extreme. It has a simple UI with two modes you switch between by rotating the head. First mode is fixed max output. Second mode is user defined, set it as low or as high as you want.

Last edited:

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
Hi NVBoy !

About that old username ... some that had been inactive for a very long time got deleted some time back in order to try to free resources for CPF.
However, as I don't know yours it might be worth it contacting an admin about it.

Now ... to th equestion at hand.

Size and budget preferences? :D

bernie

Thanks for the info on the username. The lost username doesn't bother me though.

Size would preferably be somewhere between a L1 and E2.

Budget would be under ~$200.

And hopefully 3 modes.

It will need to be fairly sturdy. It will be in pretty harsh conditions. I work in a lot of industrial plants and am constantly in contact with steel, concrete, etc. It's amazing how much my L1 can take though. It has taken a beating. I recently dropped it off of a man-lift 35 feet up, onto concrete. A couple really small dents is all the damage it took.

Ideally this light will ride in my pants utlility pockets, clipped via pocket clip. And I can get a larger light with longer throw to keep in the truck. I'm thinking of a JetBeam III for that. Or a bigger Surefire Lumamax.

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at Nitecore Extreme. It has a simple UI with two modes you switch between by rotating the head. First mode is fixed max output. Second mode is user defined, set it as low or as high as you want.

This light I am also considering. If it had 3 modes that would definitely be a plus. I may have to buy the RA Twisty and find a way to mount a Pocket Clip to it. Or carry a pouch for it. I just don't like things on my hips. Except maybe a pistol. :D