"That thing won't budge" Help needed...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well it is after midnight, I am sorting throu some socks with my EDC cos the room lamp socket is done, and since I am doing that good I take my unused RC-G2 Q5 and start to unscrew the reflector cos the lens is plastic and want to put there a glass one.

half a turn and the reflector freezes....any repeated efforts only help wear out the holes and the thing is stuck for good. Damn nothing goes well today!

fast forward to this morning. I have mixed matched some black with dark blue socks!
I decided put some machine oil in the flashlight head/reflector threads, grip the head with some leather and try to screw it down...Success.

With my ego boosted I try to screw it off now and what did you expect? now it is frozen tight for good in a position that allows lens play.

Now what are my options....Locking pliers and more power, press it down, freeze it overnight?

grrrrrr Kostas

scottm

Newly Enlightened
I'm not familiar with the light, but generally heat is your friend for expanding gaps and freeing stuck things. Not your friend if you get it hot enough to make batteries explode. Vibration also helps, tapping it firmly around the threads could help loosen it. Oil can help, but most penetrating oils have solvents in them that can harm O-rings and plastics, so clean it out well afterward. If there are particles in the threads, blowing compressed air into the threads can sometimes dislodge them. If there's a burr in the threads, rotating it back and forth will sometimes break the burr free.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thanks for the suggestions....theywill be worthwhile for any feature mishaps..

you see it turned out to be a case of utter stupidity...The flashlight has a two part head. Seperate it in half you have access to thereflector and its threads...Before finding out I was trying to force the reflector into the head/body threads...

And if it was NOT the first time I dissaembled the head!!!

Latest posts