Looking for tough, simple u/i light for a 4 yo

Neubauej

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriends little boy LOVES my lights, and I would like to get him one. Boys being boys, and 4yo at that, I want to find something near indestructable, simple to operate, and 'fun' for a kid bright. Less than $50 would be about right I think.

Suggestions?

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
A Fantasea Nano Spotter LED Flashlight.

It's about 12 dollars and runs on 4 AAA batteries.

Nano-Spotter-PR4.jpg

2efs3ud.jpg

JBorneu

Enlightened
Fenix E01. He won't be able to destroy it, it runs off a single cell, twisting is about as easy a user interface as possible, and he'll want to EDC his new toy for sure and with the E01 this won't give any trouble. Also, he won't be able to blind anybody with it.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E01. He won't be able to destroy it, it runs off a single cell, twisting is about as easy a user interface as possible, and he'll want to EDC his new toy for sure and with the E01 this won't give any trouble. Also, he won't be able to blind anybody with it.

What about the wind up lights or shaker lights, those would be pretty cool to a kid and you wouldn't have to keep paying for batteries because the kid leaves it on.

Hitec-

edc3

Enlightened
I think the Fenix E01 is a good choice also. It's cheap, durable, long runtime, comes in colors, not too bright. It depends on the kid, but the only misgiving I would have is the head getting lost.

Evil Homer

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the eo1. My niece LOVES hers! She's a flashlight junkie too! Haha! She's 4 too, hasn't lost the business-end yet.
IMG_0243crop.jpg

Kee's new purple anno'd eo1

IMG_0239sm.jpg

Me about to bust a gizzy trying to extract one of grandma's shower valves while Kee holds the light vaugely near the worksite...:laughing:

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriends little boy LOVES my lights, and I would like to get him one. Boys being boys, and 4yo at that, I want to find something near indestructible, simple to operate, and 'fun' for a kid bright. Less than $50 would be about right I think.

Suggestions?

Energizer Hard Case Pro 2xAA light.

The 4 LED swivel head version might be more fun... different LED colors to play with... *LOWE'S CREE*Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW! - CandlePowerForums

Runtime was the only downer...

Cute niece Evil Homer! I have a 2 yr old daughter and she's demonstrated the indestructibility factor of my blue EO1 by swinging it against door facings and the TV and such on a lanyard. Whack! Whack! Probably a better option for a 4 yr old than a 2 yr old, though, because I do worry about her taking the head off and losing it...

Simple to operate + fun + indestructible can be contradictory goals...

Photon fits the bill for me--simple UI, the most fun flashlight I've ever had, and a bargain from CFR. I'm talking about the keychain light, but for a more durable (and easier to change battery) option with similarly fun UI, I think a bright 4 year old (or a bright 40 year old!) could have a ton of fun with a Photon Pro, ~$43 at CFR. This review from about a year ago sold me on the light: My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review - CandlePowerForums

If the boy has a favorite movie/action hero, there's probably an LED light out there featuring it... that can be fun too, and less expensive, but probably not so high on the indestructible rating.

concept0

Enlightened
My first LED light was a UK 4AA from brightguy.com.

It's proven unbreakable through years of camping and abuse. The rubber bezel absorbs the shock of a head-first drop.

Anyway, the UK 4AA is probably too big for a 4-year old, but the 2AAA would be perfect. And it is waterproof and will run for 20 hours on a pair of alkalines. Just a on/off twist switch, doesn't get much simpler than that.

Oh, and it is made in bright colors (yellow or purple) and comes with a clip. All for only $15!

http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_2AAA_Mini_Pocket_eLED_Flashlight.php

user24

Newly Enlightened
E01 is a great light, and cheap too. it's a twist action though, I'd have thought a clicky would be better for a kid. mind you, I guess you can't get much simpler than twist on twist off.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Why not a simple SF G2 with an inexpensive LED dropin? maybe too big though.

TOO BRIGHT! This also counts for the Photon Proton Pro! Please peope! Don't give kids under age 10 or so lights which have and output above 15 lumens because they WILL shine it in their own eyes and the eyes of everybody else! They think it's fun when it hurts and makes them see black spots and flashes. Also, it might not be the best move to give a 2CR123 light to a 4 year old (cost of batteries, possible dangers with multiple CR123 cells if he leaves the light on).

Neubauej

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

Looking at the suggestions, I think I am going to look at the fenix or energizer, but keep the suggestions coming!

It turns out his older sister (6) wants one too, fenix or energizer for both?

Thanks again guys!

~Joe

:twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic
Most crank lights are a bad idea. In short order the kid will most likely either over crank it, or run the battery down completely. Either will permanently kill the light by destroying the LIR2032 cells inside.

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
Im getting both of my kids an E01 with ball chain lanyards to wear around there necks. I have an E1 i wear around my neck at night around the house and they love it.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I can see a problem with the E01. Choking hazard. The head is very small and unscrews right out easily. Just something to keep in mind.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire G2L YELLOW or some cool headlamp... All kids seem to love to play with my headlamps, they love all Princeton Tec's strobing LEDs.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most crank lights are a bad idea. In short order the kid will most likely either over crank it, or run the battery down completely. Either will permanently kill the light by destroying the LIR2032 cells inside.

I've got two kids that are experts at breaking things and a pair of 2 year old working cheapo crank lights that would like to disagree with you.

We gave our 5 year old an L2P and it vanished. The crank lights are always banging around their rooms.