MC-E 5A tint comparison. Modded Mag SSC P7 & MC-E beamshots!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a week and a half ago CPF user eprom asked me if I was interested in doing comparative beamshots with one of his CREE MC-E 5A J-bin emitters. It piqued my interest and eprom sent me a sample. eprom's sales thread for the MC-E 5A.

I used the following flashlight builds:

2D Maglite with 2S2P CREE MC-E 5A, J bin @ 3.4A. OP reflector.
2D Maglite with 2S2P CREE MC-E WC, M bin @ 3.4A. OP reflector.
1D Maglite with SSC P7 DSWOI @ 3.2A. OP reflector.
3D Maglite SSC P7 CSXOI @ 3.2A. OP reflector.
4D Maglite with OSRAM 64440 IRC 50W halogen bulb.
Dereelight DBS V2 CREE R2 WC @ 1.2A.

Pic of the lights will come tomorrow...

The OSRAM hotwire and the DBS are included to make it an even number and to give a perspective of the amount of light these high power led Maglites produce. The OSRAM hotwire is about ten times more powerful in output compared to the DBS, so it's a low and a high in relation to the MCE-E/SSC P7 Maglites.

The Maglites with SSC P7 & CREE MC-E can be found in these threads:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212835
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358

The J-bin MC-E 5A emitter has 25% less output compared to the M-bin MC-E WC and SSC P7 DSWOI. But it does hold it's ground against the more powerful bins. In my opinion the light from the 5A is pleasant but not necessarily any better for rendering colors, penetrating fog/rain etc. It's more of a preference, if you like a warmer light from your flashlight this emitter is really good, the best warm emitter I have seen. Very much recommended for those who crave warm light.

It's four settings. Intermediate throw at ~100 m, lighting up a meadow, penetrating dense vegetation, lighting up an enclosed space. There are lots of different colours in the settings, so watch the details.
It's also drizzling rain/ice crystals and there's some ice fog. Really bad damp winter weather.

Setting 1.

Angen95mMC-E.jpg

MagMC-E5A001.jpg

MagMC-E5A002.jpg

MagMC-E5A000Comp1.jpg

MagMC-E5A000Comp2.jpg

MagMC-E5A003.jpg

MagMC-E5A004.jpg

MagMC-E5A005.jpg

MagMC-E5A006.jpg

MagMC-E5A007.jpg

MagMC-E5A008.jpg

Setting 2.

Angen35mMC-E.jpg

MagMC-E5A35mComp1.jpg

MagMC-E5A35mComp2.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m001.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m002.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m003.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m004.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m005.jpg

MagMC-E5A35m006.jpg

Setting 3.

Just a shot into some dense forest vegetation. ~40 meters to the farthest details in the hotspots.

MagMC-E5APenetrComp1.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetrComp2.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr001.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr002.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr003.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr004.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr005.jpg

MagMC-E5APenetr006.jpg

Setting 4.

Garage30mMC-E.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m000Comp1.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m000Comp2.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m001.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m002.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m003.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m004.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m005.jpg

MagMC-E5A30m006.jpg

--------------------------------------------​

Two shots side by side up in the sky to show how the core beams look in rain and fog. Pretty interesting how the beams disperse in the fog:whistle:.

MagMC-E5AXfog_rain1.jpg

MagMC-E5AXfog_rain2.jpg

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent beamshots and a great post. I too really like the looks of those MC-E 5A's :goodjob:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
the MC-E 5A seems to be the better of the LED's as far as color retention. It's weird, the Incan seemed to mess up the blue of the doors, but the light has a huge spectrum :confused: I guess it's all preference, the throw didn't seem to suffer like I thought it would.

Great Beamshots!

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Stefan, you are amazing. Thanks for your effort. If you give permission, I want to use these beamshots for my local store.

Thanks Again,
EpRoM

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am amazed by the excellent tint of the MC-5E 5A LED. Great beamshots :thumbsup:. I wish there was a flashlight that I could buy with this emitter without modding. Or a drop-in of some sort...

Hallmcc

Newly Enlightened
Would you be in a position to post a photo of the A-5 and the R2 aimed at the blue doors at the same time?

It appears that the MC-E A-5 J bin brings out the reds and greens while the other white lights bring out the blue.

I am curious if the combination of the two will blend and deliver a truer night photo or if the R2 will over power and erase the tint inprovement. I am working on a deep sea video light so this happens to fall within my field of interest at the moment.

Thank you in advance!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am amazed by the excellent tint of the MC-5E 5A LED. Great beamshots :thumbsup:. I wish there was a flashlight that I could buy with this emitter without modding. Or a drop-in of some sort...

You can do it! Start modding away.

Stefan - FANTASTIC job on the beamshots - thanks much ;)

Will
They were better than I expected, thanks. Try one in comparison to the cooler bins, you'll be surprised.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be in a position to post a photo of the A-5 and the R2 aimed at the blue doors at the same time?

It appears that the MC-E A-5 J bin brings out the reds and greens while the other white lights bring out the blue.

I am curious if the combination of the two will blend and deliver a truer night photo or if the R2 will over power and erase the tint inprovement. I am working on a deep sea video light so this happens to fall within my field of interest at the moment.

Thank you in advance!
I've tried this out, and the Neutral + Cool is no better.

I've used every LED from awful WC and cooler bins (>7000k), to 8B extremely warm white bins (eg, <2650k). IMO the 5A is the sweet spot for accurate color rendition from a single emitter in almost all circumstances.

The only better source I've seen are the High CRI SSCs, at similar color temp. There you get a marginal improvement in CRI, in exchange for half the efficiency. Not worth it IMO.

IMO the next best is the 6C bin, which is slightly warmer at 3700k. All my current MC-Es fall into this range (though I have some 5As on the way), because this was the closest bin to neutral at the time I ordered from cutter. Rendition here is closer to the halogen.

The ultra warm LEDs are better than I expected -- I'd say CRI is significantly better than warm white CFLs, but I'd only use those if you specifically want warm white. I prefer neutral white color temp (3500-4500k) in general. The reason I bought the warm whites is to make bike lights as the warmer white doesn't irritate the eyes of oncoming drivers as much.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
MMMMMMMMmm

Take the reflector out of my LD01, use that room for a heatsink, slap a MC-E on top of it, run it on what cell though?

Short short short runtime! Which is actually good since it can't cook it'self to death in the 4 minutes it is on. :laughing:

I am not really suggesting this BTW.