Quad cree Q5 against P7

Roland Gama

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Would quad cree Q5s running at 1.4 amps each, with 8 degree optics, give a tighter and brighter spot than a mag P7 at 2.8 amps with standard reflector?
Your views will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get 1.4A to each of 4 Q5 dies that is 5.6A.
1) A M@glite switch will fail above 5A.
2) 5.6A is 2X 2.8A so will be brighter.

4 LEDs in the same head means smaller reflectors which will give less throw. I do not have P7 vs 4XREs comparison but Ernsanada has a P7 vs a 3 LED 20 mm reflector (MT-III) review. The 4 LED MT-IV with 17 mm reflectors is much more floody than the MT-III.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194716

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
Would quad cree Q5s running at 1.4 amps each, with 8 degree optics, give a tighter and brighter spot than a mag P7 at 2.8 amps with standard reflector?
Your views will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

4lights.jpg

Left to right 11 watt HID, Single Q5 1amp aspheric 8deg, P7 mag 2.8amp C bin, 4 X Q5 aspheric 8 deg 1.4 amp each.

So the answer is yes the 4 Q5's will be brighter and tighter IF you use aspheric lenses.

Roland Gama

Newly Enlightened
I plan to use 4 x 18650's in series and the quad Q5's in series too using the poor man's driver as shown somewhere else in the forum. This flows only 1.4 amps through the switch- way below the 5 amp threshold. Am I right in assuming this ledninja?

Packhorse which aspheric lens do you use?
I have optics in mind cause I feel they have a narrower beam than reflectors although a bit inefficient.
The optics are 20 mm in diameter and 8 degree beam. Do you think I need aspheric lenses for these?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is best to run the 4 dies in each LED in series, then the LEDs in parallel. Yes that way you are running 1.4A at 14.4V.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan to use 4 x 18650's in series and the quad Q5's in series too using the poor man's driver as shown somewhere else in the forum. This flows only 1.4 amps through the switch- way below the 5 amp threshold. Am I right in assuming this ledninja?

Packhorse which aspheric lens do you use?
I have optics in mind cause I feel they have a narrower beam than reflectors although a bit inefficient.
The optics are 20 mm in diameter and 8 degree beam. Do you think I need aspheric lenses for these?

The optics are the most efficient (more than reflectors) and throw the best in a given size.

Aspherics and optics don't work together.

The KD 8˚ optics are the best really cheap ones.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 5 P7, C and D bins in 52mm reflectors and 1 in a 26 mm reflector. I have a 7X Q5 mag:
7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY
here too:
FS-7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY

and that many Q5 is just about 1600 lumens, the best P7 about 900. Definatley the Q5 are brighter but it is all flood, about 100 yards, about the same as the 26 mm reflector P7 but the 52's are at about 200 yards of good illumination.

I would think your P7 would be better in that the 4x would be a great flood but not get out past the 100 yards. The more reflectors get you more light but together they do not throw further than a single and small reflectors throw not as far as bigger ones.

Roland Gama

Newly Enlightened
LukeA,
Ordered four XR Es Q5 with 8 degree optics.
Will have to trim a bit of the lens holder periphery to get four of them to fit the maglite.
Also came across some cheap 55 mm. camera UV filter lens which when removed from the retaining ring measure an ideal 52 mm. and a great direct swap for the stock mag lens.

Roland Gama

Newly Enlightened
Nice work. Going the same route due to space constraints but using optics in place of reflectors. Also will use some 5 mode driver.