Run an Inova X5 white on 1 cell?

mbw_151

Enlightened
I am considering buying an Inova X5 with white LEDs to drain 123 primary cells that will no longer drive my higher output lights. I would like to use only one cell at a time with a dummy to limit the light output and avoid any :poof: issues. I would like to get 1 lumen give or take a little. I've searched all the "Battery Vampire" threads and can't find a thread that discusses this approach. Does anyone have any experience?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering buying an Inova X5 with white LEDs to drain 123 primary cells that will no longer drive my higher output lights. I would like to use only one cell at a time with a dummy to limit the light output and avoid any :poof: issues. I would like to get 1 lumen give or take a little. I've searched all the "Battery Vampire" threads and can't find a thread that discusses this approach. Does anyone have any experience?
What makes you think you'll have "poof" issues with the X5? I've been draining dead CR123s in my X5 for 3 years+ straight with no problems. But yes, you can use a dummy cell, however it will only give you a dim glow...

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I think the OP's concern may be with putting mismatched batteries in the X5. I thought I read though that the current drain on the X5 is low so it isn't of much concern(?). I have an X5 but have never tried this although with my soon to arrive PD20, I may have the same idea.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also been using my X5 to finish off batteries for a few years. It works great. Current drain is minimal, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as your expectations of output are low one cell with a dummy battery works fine.When I tried this with mine and it was similar in output to my original (non-ultra) CMG Infinity.Very little light, probably close to the 1 lumen you are shooting for.The RED X5 works well in the battery vampire role because it only requires one battery to begin with,much better output.
If you are draining batteries from a two cell light I also think you will be fine using the X5 with two batteries.I would avoid using mismatched cells just to be safe though I doubt you would encounter a problem.A ZTS battery tester is a good investment if you don't already have one.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried a single RCR123 and a dummy cell? I know you shouldn't use 2 rechargeables but how bout just one? That would give you some guilt-free lumens and should still have decent runtime in this light ... for a single rechargeable.

Anyone tried it?

Illum

Flashaholic
the X5 draws approximately 200ma with new cells, I don't foresee an immediate issue with mismatched cells, as long as the remaining capacity of the cells don't exceed more than 20%.

Single cell is dim, but usable...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering buying an Inova X5 with white LEDs to drain 123 primary cells that will no longer drive my higher output lights...

Just curious. Will you actually be using the X5 to illuminate things/places while powered by the dying CR123A cells?

Or because you want to drain batteries completely before disposal?

I have 3 Inova X5s and I've seen people write that they use X5s to drain dying batteries. Always wondered which of the two intents they have.

Thanks.

Bolek

Enlightened
Has anyone tried a single RCR123 and a dummy cell? I know you shouldn't use 2 rechargeables but how bout just one? That would give you some guilt-free lumens and should still have decent runtime in this light ... for a single rechargeable.

Anyone tried it?
My X5 runs on a 17670 unprotected batterie from a laptop batterie pack. :DQuite bright at 4.1V but dim under 3.9V (just recharge then). Not all 17670 fits.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to pick up an X5 based on the discussion here. My intent is to use the light as a "don't wake up the wife when leaving early for work" light. The X5 is the only light I have identified that meets the criteia of relatively inexpensive, easy to use, single output light, uses 123 cells, and with one cell puts out about 1 lumen. I pull 123 cells when they won't drive my HDS EDC B42XR on high so I always have cells. The HDS on the lowest level works fine for this application, but when I use it early in the morning I tend to forget it on the kitchen counter. I want the HDS in the case with my other EDC things so I'll have it when I need it. Thus the need for a dedicated light. Or maybe it's Flashaholism?

vhyper007

Enlightened
Gents,
I confess I have a bunch of primary 123's in the 2.6-2.8v range but what advantage do I get sticking them in an X5 with a dummy unless I am learning braille. I must be missing the point. Will someone please explain what advantage exists to the practice of vampiring old cells.
Regards,
vhyper007

fishx65

Enlightened
You could also pick up the Dorcy Super 1 watt at Target for $19.99. It's well known as a single 123 drainer. You would also get a much whiter tint.