U2 - can you use rechargables

looman

Enlightened
I am 99% certain it is possible to use rechargables in a U2 if it has the plastic liner (which this one does).

I also seem to recall that you will step down one level of output if you do run on rechargables.

What cells would work best (if any) and would it be better to use 2 x 123 equivs or go for 18650's.

I also assume a protected cell is adviseable.

If OK, do I need to watch out for amperage/voltage mins and max's ?

Many thanks in advance,

Looman

greenLED

Flashaholic
I am 99% certain it is possible to use rechargables in a U2 if it has the plastic liner (which this one does).

I also seem to recall that you will step down one level of output if you do run on rechargables.

What cells would work best (if any) and would it be better to use 2 x 123 equivs or go for 18650's.

I also assume a protected cell is adviseable.

If OK, do I need to watch out for amperage/voltage mins and max's ?

Many thanks in advance,

Looman

1. Either take the sleeve out or use a thinner cell.

2. Not really; the reduction in output is not very significant and you still have the 6 levels.

3. Cell choice is pretty much personal preference.

4. Unless you're familiar with handling unprotected li-ions, it's best to use protected cells.

5. DO NOT use 2x R123's (rechargeable 123's). Other than that a single 18650 (or thinner cell), or 2x123's are OK to use. BUT, using li-ions voids your warranty.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
Another option is to acquire a Leef body that is sized for 18650s. You lose the pocket clip, but you can always go back to stock.