Photon Rex problems, need help please!!

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I just got a new photon rex from New Graham Knives Co. When it came just now I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't come on at all. So I tried to plug it up to the charger with a few different batteries and it wont start blinking at all.
I removed the plastic around the negative side to make sure I am getting good contact on that side and still nothing. I just pulled out the volt meter and checked the batteries. 1.5 volts checked the magnet terminals on the charger with the battery attached, 1.5 volts.
Please help me!!!!
I called photon and she just said I could pay shipping to send it to them to get it replaced I dont want to have to pay shipping for something I just bought that doesnt work at all.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
as there is obviously something wrong here, i would suggest they pay the shipping costs both ways,and they should IMO:candle: let us know how it goes,BTW I had one it worked!but it had blue light lol :laughing:

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
I know thats what my wife said. I dont understand why they wouldn't pay shipping.
Anyway does anybody else have any clue how I might can fix it?

concept0

Enlightened
I had the same problem with my ReX... Let me say that the LRI warranty dept was great!

All you have to send them is the light itself (not the packaging or accessories) in a padded envelope. If you send it in a small envelope, the USPS postage should be around $1.

While it's true that in a perfect world, you wouldn't have to pay the $1 shipping, it's not really any different than the price of gas to drive to a store to exchange it...

Anyway, have no worries... the LRI warranty department always includes a nice little "gift" when you send something in for warranty service. I got a Photon X-Light, which is worth way more than the $1 I paid to send it back!

concept0

Enlightened
Oh, and if you want to use the light, you should be able to charge it with a 3.0v cell... The first generation required 3.0v to charge a completely dead battery due to an error in the circuit code. If it's not completely depleted, you can charge with a 1.5v cell.

The new (properly working) version can charge from a 1.5v cell anytime, so I'd just send it back and get the updated version...

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Concept you are awesome thanks so much. I took two AA batteries and put them together like you would in a flashlight to get three volts and it immediately started blinking. I'll let it sit on the three volts for a little while and then swap to the D cell. Thanks again, we'll see if it works. If not I guess I'll be sending it back. Thanks for letting me know it was worth sending it back too. I wasn't even thinking of USPS, I was thinking of having to UPS. Duh.

concept0

Enlightened
In deciding whether to send it back, you should keep in mind that I'm not sure why the old code did this... it is possible that the old circuit is overdischarging and causing damage to the fragile Li-ion battery.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
So it might be better to send it back anyway?
What would I tell them now though since I got it working? Its not broke anymore. I dont think. I haven't turned it on yet.

concept0

Enlightened
I've been using a first-gen ReX for 4-5 months now and it's been fine, I was just saying that I'm not sure of the exact reason for the problem. I'm only speculating when I say that it could be over-discharging.

If you decide that you want to send it back, just go ahead and send it with a note that it wouldn't charge with 1.5v cells. If you feel better "breaking" it again, just leave it on until the battery dies and it will be "broken" like when you received it. Then just play dumb and send it with a note that it wouldn't charge.

I really don't think it matters because they would replace it just because it has the old code. They described it as a "code error in the circuit," which means that it's not running to spec. You should be able to charge a dead ReX from a single 1.5v cell, especially since ultralight backpackers use it as their primary light and depend on its ability to recharge from a single battery.

The LRI warranty department doesn't ask that you call them before sending stuff in. Just send it to their warranty department with a note and your return address.

supes

Enlightened
How do you determine which generation is it? is there some kind of indicator?

thanks

concept0

Enlightened
There's no external or packaging changes that I know of, you just have to test it for the problem...

Leave it on max until it runs out of batteries, then try to recharge it with a 1.5v battery. If it charges, then you have a new one. If you can't charge it without a 3.0v input, then you have the first-generation with the charging problem...