Bit of a Rant!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lost my job yesterday, second time in less than a year. Before that it was a series of health problems. Economy the way it is especially this time of year, prospects don't look good at all. This really came from left field, I feel gutpunched right now. I just can't seem to get ahead for whatever reason. At 47 years old it's getting hard to start over and over again. Just wanted to vent a little bit, feeling frustrated right now. :sick2:

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to here that!Your "rant" got me thinking about what I would do if this happened to me,and have you thought of re-locating to another area,where your job is more in demand?I don't know what I would do,but I might think of moving or changing fields.I don't know what to say.You WILL make the right decision,you made it to 47 :thumbsup:.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your situation. Bad time of year to happen for sure. I hope something comes your way soon! Sending all of my positive vibes your way!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
JUST SUCKS

I feel for you.

I sold 70% of my lights this year to help with bills while my family regrouped after Wendy lost her job. It is really hard to go from a 55K household to a 23K household. Wendy now has a $7.50 seasonal job but it IS helping and she has loads of resume's put in. After the holidays are over we hope something comes along. I might just have to take on another full time job - it's just what we have to do. I won't be on CPF much anymore if that's what happens but at least I got to hit 3000 posts first. I do have a back-up plan to go back into the Army and be a recruiter - if the 2 full time jobs doesn't work first!

Good luck, it's a rough time. I'll be thinking of you.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks guys, it's just hard to handle (the unknown) sometimes. It just seems like right when I reach the getting ahead point a little bit something happens and then I fall behind again. I know I have more (things) maybe than some other folks but it's still hard to handle. I made my top pay in my life over 10 years ago and it has went downhill ever since then. I can't seem to get anything much saved for retirement either as I've had to cash in 401K money just to live on. Selling lights won't get me too far. Guess you have to be a banker to make it these days huh? Oh well I hope everybody else is okay, I know it's affecting lots of folks.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It just seems like right when I reach the getting ahead point a little bit something happens and then I fall behind again.
Welcome to my life. I honestly don't remember when my life hasn't been like that. Only thing to do is take joy in whatever small pleasures life brings you when the chips are down. Anyway, I hope your luck changes although with this economy things aren't looking that great for most. Only good thing is bad times never last forever.

Chuck289

Enlightened
That really sucks. I've been informed I will be losing my job about a year down the road. It's a crappy feeling. Luckily im young and ive decided to use this as an oportunity to go back to school full time and get a 4yr degree.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last few years I've been living in fear of such a thing.

I work in an industry where offshoring work is a regular occurrance.
I've seen way too many of my co-workers walked out the door over the last 5 years.

A week ago I was wondering whether I'd be losing my job due to the financial issues of the company I am doing work for.

I'm in my early 40s and have been doing the same thing for 20+ years.....starting over would be difficult.

I joke with my wife that if I ever lose my job I'm going to buy a french fry truck....they always seem to have lineups.

I can relate to not being able to get ahead....2008 has been a brutal year for us....I can't wait for it to be over.

I hope things turn out OK for you Marnav.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
MARNAV1,

Well that just sucks. I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope, in the medium to long run, it ends up leading to an even better job with great pay.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sucks... hang in there, and keep fighting. We're all pulling for you.

They have announced some major layoffs at my wifes company too. Shes a dentist at a local clinic. I'm freaking out (just a little) that even health care providers are hitting rock bottom and cutting services.:(:(

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel for you bud, what type of job was it?
Worked for a Mechanical contractor, commercial buildings only. I supplied the jobs with what they need, ductwork, iron, tools and whatever else they needed. Waldinger Corporation. I just started there in Feb/08, before that I worked delivering concrete block. I got laid off from that job the day I was released from knee surgery. Took me 6 months to find the Waldinger job. Was just about to come up for a raise too. I'm single and if my elderly folks hadn't helped me out I would have been homeless too. Had to cash in what little 401K I had to make ends meet. I do have some savings but they have dropped about 60% in the last 3 years. This forum buying and selling is one of my joy's really, lots of good people here. I don't want to whine about my situation, it's tough to continually get knocked down but I guess that's what mature's you. So now my prospect is no job, no insurance, no retirement savings either and very dim job prospects until maybe March or so. I do have a good relationship with my Creator, I won't preach here but suffice it to say that he keeps me going. At least my health is fairly good and I have food and a roof, these things really count. So enough ranting, thanks all for your thoughts! :paypal:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Sorry about your situation.

I read on Yahoo yesterday that 10 PERCENT of US homes are either in forclosure, or behind in their payments. But we have to be close to the bottom . . . . there will be another round of forclosures (this time due to job loss rather than adjusting rates) but after that, things should turn around. Once the housing and stock markets recover, it will shoot up as fast (or faster, since everyone is poised) as it went down.

In the mean time, try and keep your head up and use the net to help you. I've never bought and sold so much stuff before the net . . . it's crazy. So you should be able to sell yourself.

There are:

www.yahoo.com - job search
www.monster.com - resume posting and job listings
www.craigslist.com - this was originally developed for job postings. There are many local jobs posted there daily.
www. I'm sure there are many others .com

Hit those for a week or two and who knows. Don't say to yourself "that won't work because everyone must be doing it." You might be surprised. I have friends in the housing industry and they told me there are many people who want to sell but won't list their property because of the condition of the market. I know because I'm one of them! The result? The people who are listing are getting more action.

Do it. What have you got to lose?

Good luck and report back.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
MARNAV1 (and everyone else),

No problem with the rant. I am about the same age. So far holding on to work but I don't expect that to last forever. Good luck to you, and to all of us.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I landed a job just a few weeks ago. Don't give up, the opportunities are still out there!