Small light easily found in brick & mortar stores

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a house guest (my wife's aunt) over for a few days and when my wife and I bid her good night I noticed she had set out a small flashlight beside the bed. I didn't get a close look but it looked like one of those basic convenience store plastic lights.

My wife and I have been thinking about what to give her aunt as a Christmas gift and I (being the flashaholic that I am) figured we could get her a better flashlight. :grin2: :naughty: So, here I am, looking for recommendations for a small light that can be easily found in brick & mortar stores (i.e. does not need to be ordered online). She's only going to be here for another day so I need something I can go out and get at a local store.

So, here's what I'm looking for:
  • Runs on 1AA or 1AAA battery (must be small and must be easy to find replacement batteries)
  • One or two light levels (too complex and she won't want to use it)
  • More floody than throwy beam
  • Simple, reliable switch mechanism
  • Decent construction (can survive being dropped a few feet, etc.)

Off the top of my head, the nearby brick & mortar stores which would have some decent flashlights are Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Frys Electronics and REI.

So, what do you guys recommend? :thinking: :shrug:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
B&M store lights rarely have variable light levels, but the River Rock 1AA 1 watt Luxeon light from Target is pretty nice. Single level like most, but small and good light output. In Target you will also find an Energizer 2AA 1W light with a conventional flashlight design having a switch on the side. Many people have a dislike to tail switches so the Energizer with its side switch will be more familiar as a regular kind of flashlight.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Target carries Inova's X-series lights. While most run off of CR123 cells, the Inova X1 takes a single AA cell.

And another vote for the River Rock 1AA, 1watt model. It's a decent light. (BTW, there's another RR 1AA model. It's green with a small side switch. The 1watt version looks completely different. Black, reverse tailcap clickie switch, pocket-carry clip).

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuo might reconsider small. My sister surprised me on the reason she did not use an MTE 1xAA light. Too small a griping surface!!!

So you might consider the 2xAA format...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought and returned several of the River Rock 1AA Luxeon flashlights because they either failed within a couple of days or had a horrid purple tint. The form factor looked good, but they were unreliable and I would avoid them.

Instead, look for a 1AAA Streamlight Microstream for about $16 - $18. My Microstream is brighter and smaller than the RR 1AA and the Microstream has a forward clicky tail switch. No problems so far and it is a pleasure to use.

I have seen them sold in Bass Pro Shops and tool stores.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd say go for dim. She's used to dim incand. with little throw and probably wouldn't like something with a stabbing beam. My suggestion would be for a Gerber Infinity Ultra from REI. Probably all the light she'll ever need.

Geoff

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Target carries the Inova X line, they also have the River Rock lights and Inova Bolt line as well. The Bolt lights use standard AA batteries, so those might be a good candidate as well. They are well made.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go for dim. She's used to dim incand. with little throw and probably wouldn't like something with a stabbing beam. My suggestion would be for a Gerber Infinity Ultra from REI. Probably all the light she'll ever need.

Geoff

I have to agree. Judging by the fact that she sets it out at bedtime, she probably would be better off with a dimmer light. The Gerber IU would suit her. Small enough to be portable but not so small to be difficult to handle. The beam is nice and floody and even though the tint is not white, for what she seems to need it for, it's not a big deal. 1 AA battery would probably last her months or longer and even though it is not meant for it, it will work on a AAA battery in a pinch (yes AAA).

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
Off the top of my head, the nearby brick & mortar stores which would have some decent flashlights are Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Frys Electronics and REI.

Our local Fry's has a wide selection of lights. I know there is a good selection of small streamlights, lensers and inovas. I would take a trip there and see what's available. The selections at the other stores (except REI perhaps, I've never been there) are much more limited.

From the sound of it, any decent LED light should be a good step up.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
I second the Daylite 80 lumens.

Duracell Daylite 2AA
Regulated Circuit- No continuous fading of light
Good run time
BRIGHT! 80 Lumens
Water Resistant
Lifetime GUARANTEE
http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp
Less than $25.00
7" long
Reverse clicky
Can tail stand
Reputable company- Can be trusted
Available at Walmart- Buy it and try it same day and if you don't like it, take it back.
Nice Looking
Sturdy anodized aluminum.
Comes with batteries

Maybe the only reason she doesn't have a brighter light is that she doesn't know you can get one cheaply/easily in a relatively small size.

The daylight also comes in a 3AAA configuration that is shorter, (less than 5") and a thicker body. (Nice heft) This model is also available at Walmart but is not regulated. Also comes with lifetime guarantee.
Here is a good picture of the 3AAA on the Amazon site:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H0ETJU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

-Hitec-

Last edited: