Opinions about 9LED light?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I went to Farm&Fleet yesterday and made an impulse buy of a cheap 9LED light that uses 3AAA batteries in a battery carrier. It only cost 3.99, but I've seen many of these lights around by different names.

I was actually rather impressed by the light it put out. I've always liked my River Rock 2AAA light alot because it is so bright for its size and has a wide sidespill. But this cheap one I just bought has a hotspot twice as large, and a much bigger sidespill.

I was wondering what others here think of this light, and if it lasts very long.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Ive had two of them. They each lasted less than a year. The output of my Inova X5 is well over twice what one of those made, and the X5 is only about a 16 lumen light.

Last edited:

flashlife

Enlightened
They're OK for casual up-close work. Some of the cheap ones blow the LEDs pretty quick, since they're direct drive with no current limit resistor.
Depending on the LEDs, they can get 1-3 hours of 'bright' light...declining all the while.

For a 9LED light, I recommend the Harbor Freight "Gordon":
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65020
They're better built than most, and very reliable.

LEDrock

Enlightened
They're OK for casual up-close work. Some of the cheap ones blow the LEDs pretty quick, since they're direct drive with no current limit resistor.
Depending on the LEDs, they can get 1-3 hours of 'bright' light...declining all the while.

For a 9LED light, I recommend the Harbor Freight "Gordon":
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65020
They're better built than most, and very reliable.

Yep, that's the one! Seeing the picture reminds me of something else. See the wrist strap? It's so small that only a newborn baby could get his hand through it!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

I think it's the same light I purchased in Sweden at a very low price, I purchased several examples. Nearly similar design. A decent flood beam (I estimate 30-40 lumens) and well worth the price. It's a good choice to have in the car, or other places you don't need to be worry to loose it with that low price.

Link

Regards, Patric

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave one to a work friend over a year ago and she uses it to walk down the path to her front door every day. Still works fine and she is well happy with it.

flashlife

Enlightened
Yep, that's the one! Seeing the picture reminds me of something else. See the wrist strap? It's so small that only a newborn baby could get his hand through it!

That wrist strap is only useful for leaving to dangle out of your pocket, so when you need the light just grab the strap and pull...saves fumbling thru your keys, pocket knife, AK47 magazines, your collection of Playboy...all the stuff you keep in your pockets. :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 7 :thinking: of the plastic Dorcy 3xAAA 9-LED lights scattered about the house for emergency use for power outages.

They are supposed to have something like 40 hours runtime, but I've never been bored enough to verify it :D