ROV Sportsman Extreme 100lumen?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I was at a store yesterday (Farm & Fleet) and noticed a light that looked rather impressive but couldn't stay long enough to get all the info about it. But it was a Ray o vac (I think a Sportsman Extreme) and it was different from the others of the same name. It was noticeably thin in the middle of the tube and bulkier on the top and bottom. It uses 2AA batteries and claims to put out 100 lumens. It was on sale for 19.99. That would probably beat the Coleman Cree 2AA light in my opinion.

Could someone please help me identify this light? I googled my description of it but came up empty. The store is pretty far from my house--otherwise I'd go back there. I'm sure someone here must have seen this light around somewhere, since it looks like a good one.

LEDrock

Enlightened

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one you saw is the same one Parnass made a thread about a little while back.
It looks like a pretty nice light and is definitely worth $20. The only thing is I don't think anyone on here had one, so there is little information about it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe this is the light. I saw one at the local batteries plus for $35, so $20 sounds like a deal. I was in a hurry, so only held it for a second...looks to be quite a thrower, and the one I tested had a nice white beam. The actual button (Recessed into the tail) is orange, but it's a solid light for the price!

http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?p=rayovac_sef2aa-b&product=172815

LEDrock

Enlightened
The one you saw is the same one Parnass made a thread about a little while back.
It looks like a pretty nice light and is definitely worth $20. The only thing is I don't think anyone on here had one, so there is little information about it.

You're right! That's the one! When I wrote before that it wasn't the one, I was responding to Flashlife. Parnass got a message in there just before me. But the one Parnass referred to is the one I saw. It looks like a good one too---the one I think I'd get versus the Coleman 2AA. Looks more rugged with just about as many lumens.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I believe this is the light. I saw one at the local batteries plus for $35, so $20 sounds like a deal. I was in a hurry, so only held it for a second...looks to be quite a thrower, and the one I tested had a nice white beam. The actual button (Recessed into the tail) is orange, but it's a solid light for the price!

http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?p=rayovac_sef2aa-b&product=172815

The one in that link looks like it might be a different version of the River Rock Nightfire 2xAA, but possibly with a higher bin LED if the 100 lumen claim is true.

europachris

Newly Enlightened
The one in that link looks like it might be a different version of the River Rock Nightfire 2xAA, but possibly with a higher bin LED if the 100 lumen claim is true.

I picked up one of these yesterday on sale for $19. I also have the River Rock Nightfire 2xAA light from Target to compare.

The ROV is a nice light, but I don't think it's 100 lumens. It's about the same brightness as the River Rock, and the River Rock advertises 60 lumens from a Rebel 50. The ROV has a Luxeon which I assume is a K2, but it's not the TFFC version. The front optic unscrews easily from my ROV, so I can get a good look at the emitter.

Maybe mine is a flaky example, too, as if I screw down the focus to full flood, the light output dims noticeably - I don't think that is intended by design, so I may have an issue with solid contact to the electronics. I'll go through it and clean/lube everything and see if it helps.

At this point, I like the River Rock better, but they both are nice lights for the dough.

Chris

Latest posts