SF P/C clicky switches & 2x18650 batteries?

flip

Enlightened
Will Surefire clicky switches for P or C series SF lights hold up to 2x18650 batteries powering a regulated LED drop-in? How about 1x18650 battery powering a P7 with direct drive? If not, are there other clicky switches that will work?

medieval

Newly Enlightened
I have been using my z48 with Leef 2x18650 body and m60 with no problems.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The P/C series SF clicky switches will handle several amps, at least three amps and probably more. SF recommends them for the 3MT. and the M4, both having HOLA's pushing more than 2.5 amps.

Bill

flip

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I saw a post from someone selling SF replacement bodies in which he stated these switches could not stand up to 2x18650 batteries. That didn't sound right so I thought I would ask. Even though Surefire's warranty service is great, I didn't want to have to take advantage of it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I saw a post from someone selling SF replacement bodies in which he stated these switches could not stand up to 2x18650 batteries. That didn't sound right so I thought I would ask. Even though Surefire's warranty service is great, I didn't want to have to take advantage of it.

I think you might have misunderstood a post somewhere, or someone else did...

There is an issue that needs to be considered when running high current lamps with the new LiMn chemistry li-ion cells, as they can deliver higher burst currents, and more and more powerful bulbs are becoming available in the after-market for use with these cells. The Z59 is not very good at handling these loads.

LEDs do not have the issue of "inrush" current. A cold bulb has a much lower resistance than a hot one, so when it is first turned on, a rush of current flows that is anywhere from 2-4X as high as the normal operating current of the bulb once heated. This inrush current on incan setups, combined with cells that can handily dish it out, can destroy some clicky switches.

flip

Enlightened
Mdocod, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think the post I read mentioned what type of light source was being used.

I am ignorant but I'm trying to fix that with one little piece of knowledge at a time.

Thanks for the replies guys.