Less expensive equivalent to Fenix L1D or L2D?

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a small, relatively inexpensive, decent quality, multi-mode AA light, similar to the L1D or L2D. I've sifted through the DX offerings without a lot of luck - there are a few contenders, but nothing quite right, mostly due to mode memory.

Here's what I'm after:
  • 1 or 2 AAs
  • Low, med, high (strobe/SOS is OK, too, but not necessary)
  • High doesn't need to be super bright - anything around 100 lumens or more would be great
  • Starts in low mode - no mode memory or next-mode when turned on
  • Decent build quality
  • Price $25 or under
I know I won't find Fenix quality at that price range, but if there's something in the ballpark, any suggestions would be appreciated!

jupello

Enlightened
Maybe some of the Ultrafire C3's or MTE C2 / C3? But I dont think any of them starts on low mode if that's important..

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
This light from shiningbeam might do: doesn't meet the 4th requirement though

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-75/MF-DA1-Cree-Q5/Detail

With the CPFuser 6% discount, it's right in your price range. While I do not own this light, I do have the MF PL1 and L-mini lights and am happy with both of those.

I am picking one up as a stocking stuffer also, but imo the bare aluminum looks much nicer:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-59/MF-DA1-Cree-Q5/Detail

The decent box is a plus as a gift + the accessories.

Also Battery Junction has these, so of course I am picking up one or two:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm303.html

Another cpf member & friend just got one & thought it was a very nice light & great buy. Will run primaries or 16340's. A AA version that will run the liions is also available, I believe.

I have two Ultra Fire stainless steel C3 with the q5 & 5 mode driver. At DX I believe these are about 23 bucks. Only caveat is liion batteries only. The same light is available with a q4, same strobe, sos & 3 levels of brightness running off of primary AA's or the liion's.

I Really, Really like the way this light feels and the classy lines of the design and durability of the bare steel. I plan on using one as a host for a higher performance pocket rocket. I love the feel of the switch on this light and wish all of mine had the tactile feel and short travel.
For the money, it is one of the best deals in lights anywhere. Just be prepared to do a little cleaning & adjusting if you get it. A little Deoxit & some silcone + GITD makes it look & feel like a $50 dollar package.

I have a L1D / P2D q5 and the Ultrafire, running on liion, gives the L1D q5 a run for its money. I suspect the LM33 may not be quite as bright as the 14500 Cree q5. Run timet will run longer & for those who don't like strobes & such would be a great edc.

pustefix8965

Newly Enlightened
I have bought from DX sku 16607 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607 thinking that it may be a cheap alternative to my L1D. However, the light received is 3 modes instead of the 6 modes as advertised. It goes from medium->fast strobe->high and there is little difference between medium and high brightness. Both medium and high brightness is less bright than L1D's medium. So it is like a 1 mode light to me. I am in the process of getting it replace.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the replies. I've been buying used from the marketplace, shooting for around $35, but was hoping for some cheaper ones as well.

I'm thinking I'll relax the mode requirements, since that seems to be what's standing in the way. The shiningbeam lights and some of the DX lights look like they'll work from there, so I'll pick a few up and see how they work out.

boiceboy

Newly Enlightened
I just got the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MF DA1 Cree Q5 from shiningbeam yesterday and I am very impressed with its output. I haven't done any runtime tests or temperature build trials. The UI can be annoying though, as changing between modes isn't perfect. I like it enough though that I'm ordering my brother one for xmas. I have a few romisen lights on order from DX, the A3 and H3, hopefully they get here for comparison soon. They do not have modes though, so would fall off your criteria list.

[/FONT]