G2 and 6p LED upgrade and recharge ??

stuff

Newly Enlightened
Just found this forum and have been reading for 2 hours and my eyes are going to explode. I have a couple of questions just to clarify, take it easy on the new guy. I have a Surefire g2 LED right now and I want a Surefire 6p LED defender. What I want to do is set the g2 up for same performance as stock and to be able to run rechargeables and set the 6p up for maximum lumes and be able to used rechargeables.

1. I would like to go rechargeable. Sound like the AW RCR123 cells are the way to go. http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_24-114.html Thats the correct thing right? And I would need something like the DSD charge to charge them. Correct?

2. With those cells thats going to be too much for the stock LED heads correct? So I need a 9v head I think.

3. What is a good head to be used with my g2 with my goals? 80ish lumes 10 hours time.

4. What is a good head to be used with my 6p with my goals? Malkoff P60? 200+ lumes and 1-1.5 hours run time.

5. Am I getting this all wrong? Are my goals realistic with the rechargeable technology?

Thanks for any help.

stuff

Newly Enlightened
No love? I have been doing a lot more reading but there is just a lack of info out there and I'm confused on some of the terms. Is there some kind of conversion for Lux to Lumes?

Looks like the DX 3W Cree Module CM1 might work for my g2. But the run time is not that good with RCR123s and with out knowing the Lux to Lumes thing I'm not sure if its brighter than what I want. The Malkoff m60LL seems like it might meet my requirements. It says 8 hours of run time with cr123s. But what would it be with RCR123? Thanks for any help.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this forum and have been reading for 2 hours and my eyes are going to explode. I have a couple of questions just to clarify, take it easy on the new guy. I have a Surefire g2 LED right now and I want a Surefire 6p LED defender. What I want to do is set the g2 up for same performance as stock and to be able to run rechargeables and set the 6p up for maximum lumes and be able to used rechargeables.

1. I would like to go rechargeable. Sound like the AW RCR123 cells are the way to go. http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_24-114.html Thats the correct thing right? And I would need something like the DSD charge to charge them. Correct?

2. With those cells thats going to be too much for the stock LED heads correct? So I need a 9v head I think.

3. What is a good head to be used with my g2 with my goals? 80ish lumes 10 hours time.

4. What is a good head to be used with my 6p with my goals? Malkoff P60? 200+ lumes and 1-1.5 hours run time.

5. Am I getting this all wrong? Are my goals realistic with the rechargeable technology?

Thanks for any help.

:welcome: You have 2 good lights there - worth getting the upgrades right.

When you say '9v head', you could mean one of two things: 1. a 9P 9v incandescent drop in or: 2. an LED drop in that can handle up to 9v input - that would make more sense if LED is the route you have chosen.

I would suggest you avoid all the cheapo stuff out there from China :sick2: and go directly to: malkoffdevices.com and get an M60 - it like all the M60 series drop ins can handle up to 9v. The G2 cannot handle continuous use with the M60 as it will not dissapate heat fast enough and the LED will be damaged. Use the M60L for the G2 and an M60 for the metal bodied light. The AW ICR123's you mention are said to be the best available and with a 750maH capacity - 3.7 volts each so: 7.4 v total - too much for a P60 incandescent. A standard M60 with provide you with 1.5 hours of run time and you would expect around half that with rechargables.

A lot of people are now buying the Low Output version to increase this run time. 'Low Output' sounds weak - you do drop from 240 lumins to 170 I think, but according to many, you hardly notice the difference. Check the Malkoff website for exact details.

Gene has recently added 'Warm' (M60W) versions to his play list and after using one for a short while, I would personally never go back to the standard fair. You do lose some output but the beam tint is so much easier on the eyes.

Good luck:thumbsup:

James....

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also keep in mind that the stock SF Led will run fine at 9 volts...about 6 hours at "high" (~70-75 "SF" Lumens) and 5-6 hours diminishing

kraz

Newly Enlightened
The AW RCR123s should work great for you. I'm also a fan of Gene Malkoff's products. He offers a wide variety of drop-ins based on tint choice, flood versus spot, and brightness versus run-time. I have 2 M60Ls and a 3D Mag upgrade and I am extremely satisfied with the quality and performance of the drop-ins in my hosts.

Based on your requirements I'd just leave the LED insert in the G2 and buy an M60 head for the 6p and call it a day. Add rechargeables when you can.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
To be honest, if you have a G2L you already have a light that meets your requirements pretty closely. Running any light on RCR123s vs cr123s is going to reduce the run time though, RCR123s have quite a bit less capacity, but will happily run the P60L (not the P60 incandescent though). As already suggested, getting the Malkoff M60 will fit the bill for your 6P Defender.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P
If you plan on using one 17670 rechargeable exclusively get the Malkoff M30 LED or one of the M30 variants for your 6P. If you plan to use two CR123's exclusively get the Malkoff M60 LED or one of the M60 variants.

G2
If you think that you will be using your G2 for extended periods of time and want a long running light for your G2, stick with two CR123's and get the Malkoff M60LL. It will run for 8 hours at full output.

Link to Malkoffdevices dropin bulbs:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8

stuff

Newly Enlightened
WOW. Thanks a lot. Sounds like I will just keep the p60L in the g2 and get some AW rcr123 and expect about half the run time. Which is fine with me. The m60 malkoff sounds like the way to go. It looks 10x better made than those other drop in.

1. Charger? I know a good charge is important due to the semi-risky nature of the RCR123. On lighthound they have a few. Is the DSD charger ok? Or should I be looking for something better?

Thanks a lot guys.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DSD charger is a basic charger. I still use mine regularly.
I have found it to be durable.

The other is the Ultrafire WF-139 Charger. It is a good charger. I use one also but IMO the little spring loaded charging feet are very susceptible to bending which cause metal fatigue and then they break off. Maybe I was not careful enough with them but I am weary of their durability.

It is my understanding that the Pila IBC™ 4-stage Charger is top of the line. I do not have one but I have an older original Pila model that was my first charger.

The new one is improved and has a 4 stage charging process.

Stage 1 – Automatic analyzing battery status
Stage 2 – Quick charge
Stage 3 – Slow charge
Stage 4 – Standby mode, trickle charge

If there are more chargers for the 17670 and 18650's I am not familiar with them. Maybe others can chime in and give you their thoughts.

roymail

Enlightened
Stuff, welcome to CPF. If you need further advice, send me a PM with specific questions or ideas. I'll be happy to help. Don't get impatient... there are lots of options.

:welcome:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW. Thanks a lot. Sounds like I will just keep the p60L in the g2 and get some AW rcr123 and expect about half the run time. Which is fine with me. The m60 malkoff sounds like the way to go. It looks 10x better made than those other drop in.
The P60L's output is actually pretty feeble compared to other high-end D26 modules. Good for long regulated runtime, but don't expect superb output and bright hotspot.
Gene's modules are great especially in heatsinking, are available in different configs, but are expensive. Also not compatible with shock-isolated bezels unless with optional copper ring contact.
A Lumens Factory D26 module, though made in China, blows other cheapie modules away. Very good build quality and bright beam profile (partially due to the use of R2 bin). And it costs only ~$30.
I don't think you should waste money on another P60L A cheap 6P plus an LF module should do you some justice.

As for charger, AFAIK DSD chargers are not very good in build quality and often needs modification (ie. swapping out default electronics board with better ones from cellphone battery chargers). The 139 is OK but is no match to the Pila, an industry standard. If you're into rechargeable options in the long run, get a Pila.

sappyg

Enlightened
hey stuff,
the best thing you can do at this point is not to get caught up in the lumin thing. you want to read up on a thread by mdcocod. lumins are not everything and chasing them will lead you right back where you started.
the malkoff m60ll will probably equal or better the SF p60l. malkoff's are the last word in LED drop in tech.
i'm running an m60lf on AW123's and i get about 45-60 minutes on a charge. with primaries it would get about 240 minutes or so. no other LED can match the quality of the light coming out the end of the flashlight it is in.
i also recommend that you try to stay with one battery type. this will keep the confusion down as to what drop in is in which light. ultimately your lights will be more serviceable if you do.

stuff

Newly Enlightened
Great guys seems like I now know what I need to know. I was about to buy a DSD charger and some ultra fire RCR123s from deal extreme but I stopped and did a little more searching. It seems like the one combo that I could find no problems with was the Pila charger and the AW RCR123. I know how it is with hobbies if thats what others recommend go with it and do not cheap out. So where is a good place to buy both the AW RCR123 and the Pila charger? Thanks again.