CL1H vs JetBeam III PRO

Gary123

Enlightened
This is a very short and poor quality picture comparison. But the difference was so striking to me that I just wanted to post something to show others. All I am doing here is comparing the Dereelight CL1H v3 3SD on high, against the JetBeam PRO III on high. All 3 pictures are from 55 yards, 2.5 seconds at f 5.6 (my digital camera insisted on f 5.6). I am trying to light up the fire hydrant. I am running an AW 18650 in each light that has been freshly charged.

Here is the control shot
cl1h1ut7.jpg

Here is the CL1H on high
cl1h2ra4.jpg

Here is the JetBeam on high
cl1h3md7.jpg

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
Something doesn't seem right. The Dereelight should be much brighter, no?

jake25

Enlightened
I agree w/ Fox

the 3SD drives the Q5 @ 1.2A which is near the maximum safe limit. Should be a lot brighter.

Gary123

Enlightened
It would seem that something is not right, but I don't know what. When I use the Dereelight it seems fine, and that it has impressive throw for what it is. Pretty much it throws better than most of my other general purpose Q5 lights. And the pictures do exaggerate the difference. It is difficult to estimate these things by eye, but even though I could see the firehydrant fine with the CL1H, the JetBeam did put a striking more amount of light on the target, maybe 3 times as much. :shrug:

Gary123

Enlightened
Thats is 100% not right! Mine CL1H V4 3SD Q5 is ALOT brighter than that!

That is really not a fair statement. Walk off 55 to 58 yards and then see what you think. With the CL1H on high, I could see the firehydrant no problem with the naked eye. The camera did exaggerate the difference, but then, do you own a JetBeam III Pro to compare? You may be surprised by the difference.

Watnot (?) test compared the CL1H v3 with the 1SD pill to the JetBeam III Pro and found them fairly similar. But he also said he rejected the 2SD pill because the 1SD pill was much brighter. Therein may be a clue, although Dereelight says these pills should all be the same (on high) - I specifically wrote to them and asked them. The JetBeam III Pro might really be significantly better with throw than the 3SD.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
There is no way that the JB is 3x brighter than the CL1H. They are both Q5's and they are both driven around 1A. The reflectors, OP and SMO are both very efficient on the CL1H

I think you have a defective pill or maybe you're in low mode?:candle:

Gary123

Enlightened
I did not say it is three times as bright. I said it put maybe 3 times as much light on the target. They may put out about as much light overall. I am only comparing throw. The spot on the Jetbeam is smaller than the CL1H, and the Jetbeam's reflector is much longer than the CL1H. These factors could produce significantly more throw even though the lights might have comparable lumens output.

I'd be very interested to see this same comparison done by someone else, using the 3SD pill.

Last edited: