SF U2/U2A

Bruce B

Enlightened
Does anyone currently own and EDC a Surefire U2 or U2A? If so, what do you think of that little light and its performance? Is it easily EDC-able?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone currently own and EDC a Surefire U2 or U2A? If so, what do you think of that little light and its performance? Is it easily EDC-able?

Running on rechargeable it's a great work horse. It's not really an EDC type light unless you wear cargo parts or a tool belt.

astark

Newly Enlightened
I have the new version and absolutely love it.

I do not EDC it but do use it almost everyday. On low it is great for walking to the deer stand before the sun comes up or reading in the truck before. On high it will throw way out there, and the in betweens come in handy too.

It is the most versatile and useful light I have ever owned with great run time. In fact, I think Surefire was very conservative with the lumen output and run times stated.

It will fit and clip securely into my shirt pocked with just under two fingers of tail sticking out, or completely into my pants pocket, but I usually carry it in a jacket pocket.

I do not think you will be disappointed and I found the best deal out there right here in the CandlePower For Sale section.

ja10

Enlightened
It is hard to EDC a U2. It works well in a holster, back pack, bag, and jacket, but not in a pocket. It's a great light, but just not one you throw in a pocket with your keys and head out the door.

edit: As a security officer, I imagine that you would carry it on your belt. In that case, it could work really well for you. The 6 levels means that you can always use just enough light, and conserve your batteries. If you work the night shift that might be important to you.

Last edited:

dadriva

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the above posters.

I absolutely love my U2A and find it to be the most versatile light I've ever owned. In (albeit very rough) side by side beamshot comparisons with an EagleTac T10C2 (advertised at 295 lumens)it is right there with it on the high setting.

The only downside is that it is a bit large to put in a pants pocket along with other things. If it is to go on a belt then I'd pull the trigger in a hurry!

Bradlee

Enlightened
I EDC'd a U2 in a belt holster for about a year. Although it was much smaller than I though it'd be when I got it, I wouldn't call it a "little light". The width of the head (just under 1.5") makes it pretty uncomfortable to carry in regular pockets.

When decent 1xAA lights started to come out, I swapped out the U2 for a smaller light in my EDC. Since you're a security guard, I'm sure you're used to carrying some bulky stuff on your belt, so it might not be so much of an issue.