Suggestions on best AA light for gifts, under $35

groovadelickun

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to give flashlights as stocking stuffers....(In the hopes spreading our addictions to others ;)

I'm thinking something that uses AA's so they won't need "special" batteries or chargers and something with a few modes including strobe. (Come on.. strobe was cool the first time you used it, right?)

Earlier this year, I had purchased a MTE C3-70101 from DX for $25 (Q5 / 5-Mode) and it came with a nice gift box as well. It seems like something like this might make a good gift but is now out of stock.

Anyone have any suggestions for something better for under $35? There seems to be an endless amount of AA lights out there. Want to make sure I pick up some that are sure to make some future flashaholics. :p :devil:

kraz

Newly Enlightened
I started down your path and decided to buy a bunch of E01s instead. The cheap lights have been hit or miss for me. The E01s are high quality, small, simple to use, useful, and run a long time on a AAA.

If you want to splurge put a lithium AAA in each of them :)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started down your path and decided to buy a bunch of E01s instead. The cheap lights have been hit or miss for me. The E01s are high quality, small, simple to use, useful, and run a long time on a AAA.

If you want to splurge put a lithium AAA in each of them :)

They are nice lights for what they are, a keychain light with long runtime, at a very affordable price. However, I would argue they are not going to make flashaholics out of too many people, particularly because they put out a purple beam of low intensity. If that was the first LED light I saw, it wouldn't impress me.

A nicer AAA light for the money, IMO, is a Streamlight: Microstream. It has a nice clip with a lanyard attachment. It puts out 20 lumens, but looks brighter than that and has a nice tint and throw for it size with a polished reflector. It is even a forward clicky with at tactical momentary. They are priced around $20. Add a lithium battery for longer runtime, because this light will not have the runtime of the E01.

BTW, I think the MTE -5 Mode Q5 is a great light for the money. As a gift item for someone who doesn't know anything about LED lights, I think its interface is a bit confusing, particularly since it doesn't come with instructions. (You have to double click to change modes, once to clear the present level from memory, the next click to change modes. OR you have to single click quickly in order to shift modes because if you pause 0.5 sec between clicks, that level is retained in memory; then you must double click to change modes again).

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nicer AAA light for the money, IMO, is a Streamlight: Microstream. ...

I was going to suggest the Streamlight Microstream, too. It puts out a good amount of light for its size and price, plus it has a warranty backed by a longtime flashlight company.

Last edited:

jayke

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E20 looks like a great light for this price point. You can get over an hour of runtime with Duracells. I may get this one for a few friends.

MWClint

Enlightened
peak brass pacific AA SP

i think they are still half price if you order with a lux III. ~$25 after discount.
i'd say its about 40-45 lumens and the most unique looking AA
light for under $35. keychain body accepts lanyards quite nicely.
boost regulation works with alkalines, L91 and rechargables..and wont blow
up if you toss a 14500 in it for short blasts.

groovadelickun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to end up getting some for myself... oh.. for testing ;)
Although I personally like the multi-mode lights. At least a Low-High

Last edited:

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
My favorite light to gift is the Photon Proton Pro, it's a few dollars over your limit at $42.00, but this is one great light.
If you must stick with $35.00, get the Photon Proton extreme, not quite as bright, but same UI and an equally great light.

Last edited: