Almost had quite the scare this afternoon

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I was out getting supplies for my Aerogarden and homebrew hydroponic rig, I'm growing cherry tomatoes in the Aero and a mix of lettuce, spinach, and peas in the homebrew rig

Since we're due to get some snow tonight and tomorrow, I stopped off at my storage unit about two hours ago, to get my winter gear out and my snow tires that will be mounted Monday

Since it was dark, I instinctively reached for my belt holster where my Aviatrixed A2 lives......

The holster was empty, and the lanyard was hanging empty by my leg! my Aviatrixed A2 was *missing*!!!!

NOOOOOOO!!!! not my A2!, my favorite light!

I frantically searched the car, retraced my steps, I used it in the kitchen supply store to look into the base of the Aerogarden Pro 100 I'm coveting, to see how it works, and I distinctly remembered reattaching the lanyard and reholstering when i was finished.....

I checked the nightstand back home, the floor near the bed, the computer desk, nothing!

CRAP!, I loved that light, and it was gone, gone foreve.....wait a tic...., I did go out to the attic earlier, maybe it's out there.....

Yep, sitting on the workbench was my beloved A2, it wasn't lost after all, YAAAY!!!

of course, now I'm wondering if I should continue to EDC what is to me, an irreplaceable light, I would have been heartbroken if I lost it, especially now, as money is tight and I currently can't afford a replacement, not to mention the rarity of the Aviatrix ring....

But I can't bring myself to leave it behind, it's just too good

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, i'm glad to see this story has a Happy Ending !

:thumbsup:
_

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep I understand your point I almost *lost* my EDC this way. I turned the hotal room upside down and then my car....Ho ho the look at the receptionist's face!!!

But carrying a cheap light istead off kills the idea of the aviatrix...you want it be as a self queen only?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was just testing your loyalty. Unfortunately you can't leave it behind otherwise you might as well of lost it. Use it! Keep an eye on it! You're lucky; you got an awesome early Christmas present, and you'll never be completely sure who's responsible.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you're like me, the real enjoyment out of a light is from using it daily. To me, that is worth the potential for losing it no matter how difficult to replace.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I lost one of my HDS lights for three day till i remembered that i had the locator set.I waited till night and turned off all the lights in my house.Found it stuck in the couch.My g/f thought i had lost my mine:twothumbs

Flea Bag

Enlightened
If you're like me, the real enjoyment out of a light is from using it daily. To me, that is worth the potential for losing it no matter how difficult to replace.

Me too! However, in typical flashaholic tradition, I'd like to add the following:
If you know you're going to love a light that much, then you should always be prepared to buy a second! :sick2:

I'm going to buy a second SF M6 and A2 purely for collection purposes soon. Not even going to take it out of its box! May even buy a third M6 to have two for use and one for collection. :ohgeez:

Will get my hands on a PH50 soon and maybe one of Milky's U2by2. Maybe it's best we don't like our lights too much! :mecry:

carrot

Flashaholic
Me too! However, in typical flashaholic tradition, I'd like to add the following:
If you know you're going to love a light that much, then you should always be prepared to buy a second! :sick2:

I'm going to buy a second SF M6 and A2 purely for collection purposes soon. Not even going to take it out of its box! May even buy a third M6 to have two for use and one for collection. :ohgeez:

Will get my hands on a PH50 soon and maybe one of Milky's U2by2. Maybe it's best we don't like our lights too much! :mecry:
Oh you are so right about that. I was quite happy with my one PD for over two years and then one day I woke up and realized how lost I'd be without it... so I bought another PD and now a Lunasol. I think the Lunasols will be multiplying next.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, I lost my E1B sometime in the last few days :(

Gutted.

I need another one.

edit: whoops, found it! :)

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The answer is right there.....

MacTech said:
The holster was empty, and the lanyard was hanging empty by my leg! my Aviatrixed A2 was *missing*!!!!

I also carry most of my lights in a holster, and have trained myself NOT to set the light down even for a second. It always goes back in the holster.

Keep this in mind, "If I set it down I'll loose it, and I love this light".

Glad to hear you found it..... I'd love to my hands on an Aviatrixed A2.

Bill

twosouls2gether

Newly Enlightened
I have lost my Arc AAA and Gerber Ultra Infinity too... hopefully they are somewhere. They are too damn small, I need to attach a cinder block if/when I find them. I also lost my Columbia Winter Jacket liner... :( Depressing.

On another sad note I gave my uncle a Fenix P2D (I think, 2AA version) and he lost that as well as the Gerber multi-tool on his belt... AND keys. Talk about unlucky, we must be jinxed.

:mecry:

cl0123

Enlightened
of course, now I'm wondering if I should continue to EDC what is to me, an irreplaceable light, I would have been heartbroken if I lost it, especially now, as money is tight and I currently can't afford a replacement, not to mention the rarity of the Aviatrix ring....

But I can't bring myself to leave it behind, it's just too good

Don't be too hard on yourself. Chances are you will be even more super-extra-doubly-careful about your A2 now. After all, we all learn from our mistakes. The way that you appreciate your very excellent A2, I doubt if you would lose it again.

In another hobby, there are always queries about getting a cheapie but souped-up point-n-shoot to capture images on an once-in-a-lifetime trip to some exotic corners of the earth. There really is no right or wrong answers, in my opinion, since every individual's risk tolerance level may be just different. I tend to carry the sharpest lenses and best gears that I have on trips and take extra care to counter any "risky" situations.

With that said, if the Aviatrix'ed A2 is simply IRREPLACEABLE, I would definitely find another A2 and perhaps limit the Aviatrix'ed A2, say, for indoor or some very safe uses only.

Accidents do happen. If we can prevent all of them, they would not be "accidents" anymore.

With Aloha,

Clarence

1996alnl

Enlightened
I've been fortunate enough to never of lost a light. I make a habbit of clipping it back into my pocket the moment its off,or i just hold it in my hands.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You'll be that much more careful with where you set it down from now on, and as a result, your chances of loosing it again have been substantially reduced.

Use it and enjoy it!

Eric