Warm white Luxeons coming August

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh! I don't want "warm" white for a flashlight. I want the color of the sun, of daylight -- something clean and crisp like my Arc LS or my Space Needle II. I have enough dingy-looking incandescents.

Empath

Flashaholic
I just wish they'd master plain ol' white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested. I'll make all sorts of lamps out of the things.

I just hope they got the green out before they added the red, otherwise it will be brown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif !!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
I just wish they'd master plain ol' white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They were probably supposed to be plain ol' white

<font color="black"><Lumileds Marketing Guru></font>
Another batch of off-whites, don't throw them out we'll just call them "warm" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yield problems notwithstanding, this new LED model is going to use a different phosphor formulation. The key here is the high CRI (color rendering index). The cold blues are 70 whileas the new warm units are 85. This means these units will be better for distinguising colors. So you can see this is not a greenish white LED.

We will have to compare some units side by side to see if it improves the visibility of objects in the beam.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think it could be a very good thing...

some people don't like leds, because the prefer the warmer tones of their incan.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So long as they're milky whites or vanilla whites, with no green or violet shade, they're good to go in my mind.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
All this time I've been wondering how they would sell off their huge inventory of off-white greenies... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
With Nichia's 5 mm "warm" or as they termed it, "incandescent" white, luminous output ws sacrificed to get the color. I hope this isn't the case with Lumiled. Unfortunately there is a large market that will forgo lumens for "warmth".

- Don

Willmore

Enlightened
Why are so many of you guys so negetive about this? Follow this logic:

More 'white' (higher CRI) LEDs than the current ones (think of them like early flourescents--efficient, but the color was horrible so people didn't adopt them) so they are useable and look *good* in more applications. This spurs demand. Demand spurs supply and *development* of newer/cooler LEDs.

Now, we agree, at least, that *that* is a good thing, right?

We never want to say that there is something that an LED can't do better than an incandescent, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
CRI of 85 huh? We'll see.. I have a hard time believing it will look better and render colors better than the current good (not greenies) LS's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Like Mr. Bulk said, I guess they have to get rid of their bad stock somehow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

<Lumileds Marketing Guru at big important meeting with LumiLEDs president>
We will tell everyone that we are re-formulating the phosphor to get a "warm white", and then we can FINALLY get rid of all these green LS's nobody wants!!! We don't have to prove it, right? Just do a press release, everyone believes those...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Nichia's white LEDs were said to have a CRI of 85, but there was no mention of what bin code they were. BS I think (color bin B, brightness bin S) but I'm not 100% certain.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, i do recall the "warm" nichias being less bright...

was there also a beam pattern issue? i don't really remember...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like someone spilled another Pepsi in the "control room" at Lumileds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Stay away from "Globe Tech" white LEDs, they have an off white center and that obnoxious fluorescent green-brown "baby poo" color around the beam center. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Yucky. Pee-green is far better... Even the crappy overpriced ones fom Radyo Sharq are better in both color and brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

:ed b in NH

JollyRoger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hey Craig, was that a joke? If so, haw!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny! hehe... don't think Craig purposely wrote that, though!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif