Another transplant - 2C to a 2.125C ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
A forum member had a custom 2C light that was giving him some problems with the batteries being too long, so we agreed on a slightly longer new C host for the project.

Here on the left is the new 4C host that will be the new body for the current 2C light:
dscf3139.jpg

Here is the work done by the original moder. Here is the LED side:
dscf3140.jpg

Here is the reflector:
dscf3141.jpg

and this was the solution for the negative contact when driving 2x protected 18650 cells:
dscf3142.jpg

dscf3144.jpg

One very good thing the original moder did is to use these quick interconnect plugs between the driver (TaskLED's bFlex) and the LED module. But note that the heatsink has no thermal paste to the body:
dscf3146.jpg

I tested the LED, it still worked OK:
dscf3156.jpg

Everything looked OK, until I started to look at it in more detail and found that all but one of the solder connections were done so bad, that two were cold solder joints, and two were intermittent:
dscf3148.jpg

dscf3151.jpg

dscf3154.jpg

In the end, there was so much damage, that when I was finally able to remove the old driver, it would not work any longer. Luckily I had an extra bFlex and I was able to rebuilt the light with the new driver:
I tested the LED, it still worked OK:
dscf3158.jpg

Unfortunately more work was needed, and I also had to rework the switch's electrical soldering contacts, specially the positive contact, which now is much more reliable and will work better now with flat-top cells:
dscf3159.jpg

Instead of requiring magnets in between cells, and since the owner also wanted a custom battery sleeve, and since we now had a custom body to cut to our needs, I decided to machine a new Al disk to fit in between the two cells, to be held by light friction between the cells inside of the tube:
dscf3160.jpg

dscf3161.jpg

Of course the disk is machined to be used either way, and will work with flat bottom cells on both sides:
dscf3162.jpg

dscf3163.jpg

Here I am assembling the new battery pack with the custom disk:
dscf3164.jpg

dscf3165.jpg

Now cut the new 4C tube to the right length:
dscf3166.jpg

dscf3167.jpg

dscf3168.jpg

and try everything before re-threading:
dscf3169.jpg

then machine the inside of the tailcap to provide electrical contact:
dscf3171.jpg

dscf3172.jpg

and use Silver two-part conductive epoxy to attach a short spring to the inside:
dscf3173.jpg

dscf3174.jpg

redo the reflector (new on left - you know me by now, attention to detail!):
dscf3178.jpg

here is the final assembly - you can see the disk inside the battery sleeve:
dscf3180.jpg

dscf3181.jpg

dscf3182.jpg

Final light on the left, original host in the right:
dscf3179.jpg

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Ahh, and I forgot to note, that with the length that I picked, and when using the original spring (the small spring remains attached to the tailcap), you can still use two AW LiIon cells for even more capacity ;)

Will

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I love "clean up" jobs like this! Great job as always Will. :thumbsup:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Will going slightly off-topic ....

... but when are you going to show us Noobies how to build a multi P7 Mag :poke:

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

wquiles

Flashaholic
That could be something fun to do for early next year, specially now that George (TaskLED) has a multi-level buck driver that can drive multiple P7's ;)

Will

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell you guys reading this that as the person Will did these mods for he does very good work. You would think it came from Mag like that. Very quick turnaround and great communication too. And somehow the light has 8 levels now instead of 5, Hmmmmmm, I wonder how that happened? Thanks Will for a great job!

wquiles

Flashaholic
I can tell you guys reading this that as the person Will did these mods for he does very good work. You would think it came from Mag like that. Very quick turnaround and great communication too. And somehow the light has 8 levels now instead of 5, Hmmmmmm, I wonder how that happened? Thanks Will for a great job!

Thanks much for the nice comments :thumbsup:

The difference between 8 levels and 5 levels is probably due to different firmware in each of the bFlex drivers (purchased at different points in time from George at TaskLED) - I am glad this is working better for you now ;)

Will