My CRT is slowly dying :/

Secur1

Enlightened
I've been working on 2x19" monitors for some time now, my good old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 handles movies and games and a Samsung Syncmaster 930BF for surfing coding writing etc.
Ever since i got the Iiyama i was amazed from the colour rendition and the fact that it can do 1600x1200@120Hz which was one of the reasons it was voted best 19" CRT monitor ever made...
But over the past week the image on the screen has been moving around on it's own loosing it's shape and at the same time i keep hearing that dreaded capacitor whinning noise comming from the back.
So i guess it's time to get a new monitor and let go of my beloved CRT forever.

On the upside i am thinking of getting a nice 24" LG W2452V-PF TFT.
What do you guys think ?

Superdave

Enlightened
Driving CRT's at such high resolutions is what kills them. You can drive a CRT at 640x480 and it'll last 10+ years, bump it up to 1280x1024 and you might get 4 years.

On a good note, if you are handy with electronics you can pull the monitor apart, probably replace a few caps and it'll last for a while longer. Just remember to discharge the tube since most consumer grade monitors don't have bleeder resistors.

I replaced my 2 17" and 1 20" CRT's with 1 24" and 1 15" LCD and haven't looked back. Much better and less power used. The only thing i don't like is that the 24" is HDMI and on reboot sometimes it won't link with the video card and i gotta reboot again. :(

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Nice to reclaim some desk space! At work I use 4 x 19" monitors on my desk and a wall mounted 32". I'm glad they are all LCDs... I don't think I would have much of an office left if I was still back in the CRT days.

I've found its really hard to go back to just one monitor, even when that one is almost as big as the two you had. If you want to organize windows you can't just double click (maximize) the window to the screen... you have to do all that tedious clicking and dragging! :eek:

Secur1

Enlightened
Well i got my new monitor !

First of all it's BIG !
I can finally enjoy my movies in glorious HD :D
Colour rendition is excellent but i definately need to spend some time adjusting it to my personal preferances.
Second WOW where did all this desk space came from ?! I seriously never realized how much space the old CRT was occupying untill i took it off my desk... and even tho the new screen is 24" and a wide screen it takes up less space by being so thin.
Lastly my old 19" LCD that stands next to it now looks like crap cause it's smaller, it's an old model with only 300cmd brightness and a lousy 800:1 contrast compared to the 10000:1 the new one has, but it still serves the purpouse it was bought for, surfing and general word processing :)