Novatac lights

paintballdad

Enlightened
With all the talk regarding Novatac's and LLCoolBeans finding a backdoor to program E and T models like the P's, i'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys. But before I do, i'd like some feedback from my fellow CPFers if i'm going to like it or might get disappointed once I get one.

I started with a P2D Q5, liked it and EDC'd the thing for about 2 months but wanted something with a clip. Next came a SE EX10 from 4sevens, tried it out as an EDC and liked it enough to order another EX10 in GD+ and is now my EDC (the SE EX10 is now a safe queen right next to my P228). Also have a T1 and an E2DL, the T1 mainly as a camping light (nice combination of throw and spill) and the E2DL was an impulse buy. Wasn't sure what the Surefire buzz was all about and once i got the E2DL I finally saw the light :D. I also have a few other lights like Peaks, Fenix's, Mags and Inovas.

Now that you guys have some info on what i have and use, would like to get some feedback. Yay or nay on a Novatac 85T, Lighthound has a good deal on them right now and I need a Christmas present. The wife has been asking what I want for Christmas but i'm afraid an Aeon and the Zodiac watch I want will put her over the edge. :crackup:TIA

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac lights are some of the most fantastic lights available. They are durable, waterproof, can use rechargeables, have near immediate access to 4 light levels with one hand and have great beams.

I cannot think of anything that I don't like about these lights.

Great call on asking for the Aeon too.

camaro09

Enlightened
Get it, get it, get it.... all a can say bout these lights. Bout a month ago I picked up a 120t and struggled with the reprogramming thing. Once i got it though, it was amazing!! Greatest xmas present you could get. IMO

DM51

Flashaholic
There's a very good comparison review here, and there are many other Novatac threads which can be found if you do a search. The first Novatacs appeared ~18 months ago, and they've stood the test of time well.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the 120T or E ..... a little more brighter :D
I think if you went for the 85, you will always be wondering about the 120

houtex

Enlightened
Go for the 120T or E ..... a little more brighter :D
I think if you went for the 85, you will always be wondering about the 120
When I first got my 120t I wondered how much brighter it was. I had access to several 85T's and 120T's. Only 2 of the 120 stood out from the rest. The other dozen or so lights had us guesssing which one it was,85 or 120. All did have really nice beams.

cslinger

Enlightened
I have both the 120 and 85 and there isn't enough difference to warrant the price difference. Really it is very negligible.

Chris

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you liked the EX10's and are considering a Novatac, you might want to consider the LF3XT. It combines two similar interfaces into one light, one lile the EX10 only better; another like the Novatac in many ways. In size it is a bit bigger than the EX10, but smaller than the Novatac. It costs only $60, and in my opinion is built as well if not better than either the EX10 or Novatac. It has a smooth beam that is much better than the EX10 Q5 with an even tint from hotspot to spill, unlike the GD plus. It doesn't flicker on low like the Novatac. The only problem with the LF3XT is there is no clip for it. Hopefully, one of us will figure out how to modify another clip for the light. It will fit nicely into the holster for your P2D until that happens.

paintballdad

Enlightened
DM51, thanks for the link and info. Did find and read Selfbuilt's reviews before and found it very helpful and informative. His reviews have guided some of my purchases. I started this thread really to get some first hand feedback from other members that EDC the Novatac and also might have used the same lights I have.

BabyDoc, thanks for your input. Did consider the LF3XT but the lack of a clip was the deal breaker plus i'm not too keen on having to send a light back overseas if it starts having issues. Also, I no longer have my P2D Q5, sold in the CPFMP and glad it found a good home.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It's looking like i might be getting a Novatac for Christmas. :grin2:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
you have lots of lights already that are very similar.

altho the novatac is a great light it will just be another similar light.

id rec a muyshondt,

my guess is it will retire all your other lights.

The Sun

Enlightened
most people are trying to source low serial number NT's (botach is great for this, also awesome pricing/service), and i have found that it's nice to have low serial NT's but i like the features of the newer models better. translation, the lows are my shelf queens, and the highs get used.

i like the fact that the more recent serials have springs at both contact points, and did away with the "rubber baby bumper" on the tailcap. also, i like the updated emitter on the more recent runs (i find it noticeably brighter than the low run 120P/T/E's). and, no PWM flicker in the lowest output setting with the newer version's. i have four low serial 120's (T's and P's), and three more recent runs (2T's 1P model, 30K serial range), and have them all set the same way (thanks LLCoolBeans!!:D). in comparing them i notice this trend in build differences as well, sharing the conclusions stated on other threads here on CPF.

conversely, i like the fact that the bezel screws down flush with the body on the low runs, and the smooth HAIII that they sport (but only cosmetically, the more coarse knurling of the newer runs definitely aids in non-slipage :D). but, in my opinion these "likes" don't outweigh the "flicker" issue on low run samples. they are nice to have for collectables, but my more recent models get used everyday (i rotate them for EDC duty), and i feel naked without one. because of the NT's features i'm finding it hard to buy another single cell light for EDC purposes, so...i had to spring for a Clicky :D

buy a NT (85 or 120 you can't go wrong) use the "250 clicky tricky" set it, forget it, and you will find yourself buying other single cell lights for the novelty of "wow your buddies / pocket throwing / dust collection / quick battery drainage / hand warmer" duty:whistle:. :D IMO

usually, i carry two lights; one of the above mentioned pocket throwers, and the NT...my needs are covered for most daily/nightly tasks. i really only go for the double (or 18650) cells when i need runtime, and large area coverage. in short the NT compliments a large range of lights, making it an almost perfect choice. enter Clicky:thumbsup::D

+1 on the muyshondt. twisty's are kind of a love / hate relationship with me personally, but i would recommend the Aeon to anyone willing to spend the $$$. they are also "three year old proof." :ohgeez::laughing: you would be amazed at what can happen while you are charging your batteries and you leave an empty light sitting on the table. it's like a target for "small arms" abuse (pun intended):laughing::D

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be getting a Novatac 120E for Christmas myself too :). It's a time-proven design and the prices went down (120E cost me 105$ including shipping to Slovakia). I heared they fixed the flickering on the 3xxxx+ serial numbers, but I am not sure on this. The recent discovery of the "secret code" enables you to re-program the cheaper E/T models into a P model.

Last edited:

The Sun

Enlightened
I heared they fixed the flickering on the 3xxxx+ serial numbers, but I am not sure on this. The recent discovery of the "secret code" enables you to re-program the cheaper E/T models into a P model.

+1 i can comfirm that on my three, 30K models there are no flickering issues. :thumbsup:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
BabyDoc, thanks for your input. Did consider the LF3XT but the lack of a clip was the deal breaker plus i'm not too keen on having to send a light back overseas if it starts having issues. Also, I no longer have my P2D Q5, sold in the CPFMP and glad it found a good home.
. :grin2:

I know this make no difference to you; it sound like you are sold on the Novatac, but you should know that the US Distributer, EliteLED.com handles any problems with the LiteFlux line, including lights bought over seas. His service is absolutely wonderful! While there haven't been any problems reported with LF3XT, the first run of the LF5XT did have a problem that EliteLED handled for everyone in the US, whether he sold them the light or not.

paintballdad

Enlightened
I know this make no difference to you; it sound like you are sold on the Novatac, but you should know that the US Distributer, EliteLED.com handles any problems with the LiteFlux line, including lights bought over seas. His service is absolutely wonderful! While there haven't been any problems reported with LF3XT, the first run of the LF5XT did have a problem that EliteLED handled for everyone in the US, whether he sold them the light or not.

Not completely sold on the Novatac yet, but pretty close. I wasn't aware that EliteLED carried the Liteflux lights, thanks for pointing that out. I thought LEDCool was the only one who handled Liteflux's. Might have to consider one of those lights again. Damn wish list keeps getting bigger :shakehead.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not completely sold on the Novatac yet, but pretty close. I wasn't aware that EliteLED carried the Liteflux lights, thanks for pointing that out. I thought LEDCool was the only one who handled Liteflux's. Might have to consider one of those lights again. Damn wish list keeps getting bigger :shakehead.

BTW, EliteLED is located in California. He sends out his orders priority mail the same day you order. He is great about keeping you informed from the moment you order your light is ordered to the moment it is shipped. I got mine in 2 days, even in OHIO. :D
And of course there is no risk, since if you don't like it, you can easily return it. I doubt you would.

(Oh, I forgot to tell you about 1 neat feature on the LF3XT that I wish was on my p120 and my other lights. By clicking 5 times, it gives a readout of your battery condition under the load of the level you are operating your light. This works better than my ZTB battery tester.)

1dash1

Enlightened
Paintballdad:

Compared to your EX10 GD+, the beam patterns are very similar (relative small center spot with very smooth transition to sidespill). In real situations, I don't think you'll notice any difference between the quality of the two beams, other than the fact that the GD+ is brighter. So, turn on your GD+ to max in a darkened room, then ramp it down about 10%. That's about what you can expect to see with the Novatac 85T.

The Novatac 85T is bigger than your EX10. The 85T's more robust construction is built to take more punishment, but it is not as "pocketable" as your EX10. (Personally, I think the Novatac is more suitable as a holster carry than a pocket carry.)

The Novatac's additional size and weight become an advantage during use. The size and shape are much more comfortable for holding. The heft is just right.

The EX10 has a simple interface for operating. On/Ramp/Instant high/ Instant low. The Novatac (after the 250-click conversion) has four programmable modes. For most people, operating a multi-mode is easier than operating the EX10's ramping. It simply takes fewer clicks to get to where they want to go.

Overall build quality favors the Novatac. While the EX10 is built well, only time will tell whether the initial concerns about the sticky pistons and thin threads have been fixed and/or whether other problems will arise. The Novatac has been time-tested. It's a very high quality product.

Summary:
Beam pattern _ About the same.
Brightness _ +EX10.
Pocketable _ +EX10.
Feel _ +85T.
UI _ +85T.
Build quality _ +85T.

My recommendation:
My guess is that you will not be happy with the 85T because it is bulkier and less bright than your EX10 GD+. Moreover, even if you were the type of person who appreciated the finer quality points that the 85T has to offer, I'd suggest that you would be even happier with the Novatac 120P (or converted 120E/T) which has all of the features without sacrificing the brightness.

sappyg

Enlightened
hey paintball,
i started my light addiction exactly the way you did. P2d Q5... D10...
i should receive NT 120T i ordered tomorrow. i chose the T because of the color i was able to get it in as opposed to the E... no big deal... and i liked the way that it was already programed. i know that i will goof around with the easter egg eventually but at the most i think i'll just lower the primary 120 setting to 85 or so. odd is'nt it?
that said, i would still go with the 120 over the 85 because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
i'm thinking the NT may retire the d10 and the e2e from daily EDC and carry only the NT (e2e and d10 are always on me).
in stead of the Aeon ($$$) check out the Lummi Wee. VERY small, very unique, and a true work of art in it's own right... about $55.00 USD. it's no LunaSol 20 (which you need also:whistle:) but it is a usable neat little light.

paintballdad

Enlightened
hey sappyg,

Been reading my post regarding the LS20 haven't you? Funny, a few weeks ago my trainee noticed my P2D and asked a few questions. He was amazed that i would pay that much for a flashlight, my response was "you should read about some of the lunatics on this forum i'm on, they pay over $100 for a damn flashlight. I would never pay that much, i'm sticking to under $70 lights".

I don't recall when i became a lunatic. But when you start saying, "oh the Aeon isn't that much" and "hmmm, an LS20 would be nice", I'M IN DEEP ****!