Future of fancy flashlights--another bubble ?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us if not most here at CPF are big fans of fancy flashlights and own a few. We have all seen the housing bubble, the tech bubble, even airplane prices bubble, which have all burst now.

I'm wondering if we have also had a flashlight bubble. No doubt we all had more spending money a few months ago compared to now and this is evident in the marketplace where some high end flashlights cannot sell for well under original cost.

I also wonder about the future of expensive flashlight companies. It's no secret car sales are down 30% and no doubt common people like us and possibly big contractors like the military are going to reduce spending in many items.

So I do worry about the future backup and availability of our beloved lights, post your thoughts here.

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really concerned about this one way or the other, i keep my spending to a minimum anyways. and btw as for the car companies, they're doing a bit worse than that, try a lot worse. by the end of 2009 if not the summer of '09 it is expected that either Ford or GM will tank and go completely out of business. as Bennigans did.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't think so. There is value behind those lights, they are great tools, not just fancy investments.
Sure the extraordinary high B/S/T prices on the secondary market have come to an end, but that was to be expected in the current situation I think.

But in the end, the lights can old their own.

bernie

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really concerned about this one way or the other, i keep my spending to a minimum anyways. and btw as for the car companies, they're doing a bit worse than that, try a lot worse. by the end of 2009 if not the summer of '09 it is expected that either Ford or GM will tank and go completely out of business. as Bennigans did.

You seem to have quite a handle on things for a sixteen year old....
Any employer would do well accepting your application, you could make nice $$ after school. You would be able to buy fancy flashlights with the proceeds

outersquare

Enlightened
expensive flashlights are absolutely consumer discretionary products and this industry is going into the toilet in the coming years.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure what constitutes a fancy flashlight. If you are talking about expensive, limited edition lights, like McGizmo's SunDrop that goes for $440, there is no question that sales are down for that kind of a flashlight.
However, there are still some good flashlight values out there, like the LiteFlux LF3XT for around $60, that offers a lot of light for the money. Many people are more cautious with theiir spending right now and are not springing for the big ticket items like autos or big flat screen TVs. Yet they do have money for a $60 flashlight. (It cost more than that a couple of months ago to fill your gas tank. )

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am not sure what constitutes a fancy flashlight. If you are talking about expensive, limited edition lights, like McGizmo's SunDrop that goes for $440, there is no question that sales are down for that kind of a flashlight.
However, there are still some good flashlight values out there, like the LiteFlux LF3XT for around $60, that offers a lot of light for the money. Many people are more cautious with theiir spending right now and are not springing for the big ticket items like autos or big flat screen TVs. Yet they do have money for a $60 flashlight. (It cost more than that a couple of months ago to fill your gas tank. )

I too want to know what an expensive flashlight is. Expensive to me is one of McGizmo's creations, or some of the other equally well made Titanium flashlights that are available to us. We will always have the money to buy our toys. If not the expensive car we want then maybe that Titanium light we have always dreamed about. We might end up saving our money for that special light and not spending it on those ever so popular inexpensive lights. You know what I mean, get picky.:laughing:

Bill

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wonder about the future of expensive flashlight companies. It's no secret car sales are down 30% and no doubt common people like us and possibly big contractors like the military are going to reduce spending in many items.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one or more American flashlight companies go out of business in 2009.

I wasn't thinking about high end lights in particular, but USA-based flashlight manufacturers in general.

Companies from many sectors are having trouble during this recession and financial conditions are forecast to remain bad for a while. Flashlight companies are not immune.

A flashlight's "lifetime warranty" would be in jeopardy if its manufacturer goes bankrupt.

Glad you posted. This is a topic I had been contemplating, too.

Last edited:

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
It is sad to see that most people don't realise that a more expensive but more efficient flashlight is actually cheaper to use than a cheap but not efficient flashlight.

Let's have quick example (Caution!!! Numbers are only good where I live but you will see what I mean)

Person A:
Maglite MiniMag LED 3W 2AA ($41.75)
Using AA alkaline batteries ($4.84 pack of 4)
37.9 lumens (real lumens as per FlashlightReviews.com)
Burntime: 202 mins to 50% (as per FlashlightReviews.com)

Person B
Fenix L2D Premium Q5 ($85.00)
37 lumens at Medium setting (as per MrGman 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS test)
Burntime: 445 mins to 50% (as per L2D-CE specs of FlashlightReviews.com )

After 110 hours of using the lights, Person A and Person B have both spent $120.95.

Person A: $41.75 for the flashlight and $79.20 in batteries
Person B: $85.00 for the flashlight and $35.95 in batteries

I know using a flashlight for 110 hours is a lot for the non-flashaholic Person A... but Person B has more chance to use rechargeable batteries :). ****All prices are in Canadian Funds and includes taxes (12.875%). Shipping as been included in the price for the Fenix****

Last edited:

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
Theres no bubble, but there is a lot of competition pushing prices down while pushing performance up. The older lights that I have (Arcs and Fireflys) are still very nice and usable lights (and still better than what is availabel in the brick and mortar stores). The newer lights (Jetbeams and nitecore) are much brighter and cost me half the price. I am looking forward to better flashlights at affordable prices. Custom modders will have a smaller niche.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
No doubt it's always been tough for custom makers and smaller high end producers. The economy might affect them to some degree, but probably not much more than in "normal" times. Those are businesses operating on the edge anyway, or in the case of some of our members, labors of love. Larger high end manufacturers like Surefire rely mostly on professional and government contracts, I'm guessing, and are probably less likely to be affected, ...yet. Still, I think I'd hold off starting a "fancy flashlight" company for a while.

Geoff

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Alan 'bubbles' Greenspan have anything to do with flashlights?
No.
The price of flashlights is always going down.
It is the price to be ahead of everyone else by 6-12-24 months

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
It is sad to see that most people don't realise that a more expensive but more efficient flashlight is actually cheaper to use than a cheap but not efficient flashlight.

Let's have quick example (Caution!!! Numbers are only good where I live but you will see what I mean)

Person A:
Maglite MiniMag LED 3W 2AA ($41.75)
37.9 lumens (real lumens as per FlashlightReviews.com)
Burntime: 202 mins to 50% (as per FlashlightReviews.com)

Person B
Fenix L2D Premium Q5 ($85.00)
37 lumens at Medium setting (as per MrGman 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS test)
Burntime: 445 mins to 50% (as per L2D-CE specs of FlashlightReviews.com )

After 110 hours of using the lights, Person A and Person B have both spent $120.95.

Person A: $41.75 for the flashlight and $79.20 in batteries
Person B: $85.00 for the flashlight and $35.95 in batteries

I know using a flashlight for 110 hours is a lot for the non-flashaholic Person A... but Person B has more chance to use rechargeable batteries :).
i dont know where you live but where i live a 3 watt minimag doesn't even hit $20. and i dont know of any stores that sell Fenix flashlights so you also have to incorporate shipping into the equation

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in the UK you can expect to pay the equivalent of $40 - $60 US for an LED mini mag. I'd have to shop around to find an incandescent mini mag for $20. :sigh: The L2D Premium Q5 is available at under $60 here including shipping. I've bought Fenix lights from the UK and US and never paid extra for shipping.

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
Here in the UK you can expect to pay the equivalent of $40 - $60 US for an LED mini mag. I'd have to shop around to find an incandescent mini mag for $20. :sigh: The L2D Premium Q5 is available at under $60 here including shipping. I've bought Fenix lights from the UK and US and never paid extra for shipping.
$40-$60?!? an incan minimag here is only 7.98 at wal-mart. the shipping one I'll give you though because there are plenty of places that do free shipping

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
$40-$60?!? an incan minimag here is only 7.98 at wal-mart. the shipping one I'll give you though because there are plenty of places that do free shipping

Some things are ridiculous prices in the UK. I'm a G-Shock watch fan, and I usually buy those from abroad, because even if I have to pay customs charges they still work out cheaper than buying them here. Madness! :shrug:

Skyeye

Enlightened
Let's face it, for most of us here flashlights are looked upon as a hobby like Photography, Astronomy, Model Trains, Ham Radio or gun collecting. (all of which have considerable costs:broke:) These venues of marketing have, with the exception of Ham Radio, been pretty strong for decades and I don't think the trends will "change'' in the near or distant future.

It's a proven fact that most hobbyists will max out the Visa or sell the family heirlooms to maintain their favorite hobby.:naughty:

No need to get the clothing in an uproar.:sigh:

If the market becomes stagnant, we can just start making our own flashlights!:grin2: