Body Swapping

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

I'm new around here and hoping for your expertise to guide me.

My budget isn't the best going, but I'd like to get a fancy flashlight or two. Up until now, I've been a Maglite kind of guy, but the new ones really look great to me. In doing my research, the one attribute that has really captured my fancy is interchangeable bodies for different heads.

If you don't mind, I'll tell you what I'm looking for, and hopefully you'll know the answer. I'm looking for the most power flashlight that I can get, but still maintain a friendly UI, that will give me both a 2xAA, 1xAA, and 1xCR123A formats by swapping the bodies out. I really don't plan on going 2xCR123A with this light, as I would just buy one dedicated to that format later on.

I think that the Fenix L2D would give me all that I want, but can any other brands? If so, can you provide me with details or where to find them? I'd be curious to know run times, lumens, beam shots, etc. For example, would using a 1xAA on the L2D head change the output or just the runtimes? (I'm a noob.)

Thanks so much, and for allowing me to join in!

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Chewy, I have the Fenix P2D q5 premium power pack and love it.
You get the P2D + an L1D body (you can also use it to store a spare batterey). The P2D is rated at 180 lumens on Turbo. With the L1D body it i slightly longer and not quite as bright. I use Eneloops with it in the AA format and CR123 primaries in the P2D. Love the red filter that is available for these.

I believe they are back in stock at a couple of dealers for around $70 - 75.

Lumapower is also running a special with a Dmini digital 3 mode + accesories + a AA battery tube to run CR123 primaries, RCR123, or AA (but not 2x14500's). I have a Dmini Digital SE with an 18650 tube also. This light far out throws almost everything except the Jetbeam Jet 2. Lightreviews.com actually shows it's output as higher (around 9,000+ lux). CPF reviews show a little lower. Runtime on mine on RCR's was much longer (don't know why) than other reviews I have seen at an 1:26 on a Trustfire white 880mah 16340. The silver Ultrafire's of the same rated capacity were about 8 min shorter (one sample of each only was tested but both results were pleasing).
Awesome litte light in with the CR123 tube, awesome runtime on the 18650 batteries, on low for days...

Looks like they added the D65 tube also:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176211

Both would be perfect for what you have described. The Dmini is a chunky little guy and I love the way it feels in the hand (mine is brass also). My only complaint with the Fenix is not being able to run the same RCR's as the Dmini. Both lights are incredibly bright for their size.

Love them both, but am thinking about selling the Fenix power pack to finance a new Aeon. The red filter for the Fenix is great at night around the house, btw. Very stealthy for you & the wife does not wake wanting to know why I am playing flashlight Bond at 3am.

The Jetbeam Jet 2 was also interesting, but has some heating issues and runtime the Mini does not (at least mine). I definately want a Jet 2 when the next revision comes out.

Take a hard look at this:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176211

I don't remember off the top of my head where I saw the Fenix combo.
4 7's, Lighthound or Battery Station....

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Fenix does indeed offer all the "lego" options you are looking for, in the LxD/ LDx0 formats (1AA and 2AA) and P2D/PD20 (1CR123A) format. Those light bodies are all interchangeable with each other.

Another maker that offers this is ITP for the C7, C8, C9 series of continuously-variable lights (although the C9 comes in single-piece body/tailcap). You can contact them directly through their manufacturer's thread on CPFM, or through their dealer shiningbeam.com

Reviews of the various Fenix and ITP lights can be found in the master list linked to in my sig.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
So, let's say that I get the P2D (1xCR123), and add the L1D (1xAA) and L2D (2xAA). Can I also add the P3D (2xCR123)? Cause that would really be neat!!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, let's say that I get the P2D (1xCR123), and add the L1D (1xAA) and L2D (2xAA). Can I also add the P3D (2xCR123)? Cause that would really be neat!!
No, the P3D uses a different head (2xCR123A means a much higher voltage). The P2D, L1D and L2D all use the same head, which is why you can mix and match battery tubes.