E1L with rechargeable battery

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
Is it safe to use Panasonic CR123 type 17335 li-on rechargeable battery for my E1L ? Is that protected or unprotected cell ?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with that particular cell, but can you measure the cell's voltage? I bet it is a full 3.7V RCR. it should say on it if it is a 3.0V RCR.

The E1L Cree (marked KX1 on the bezel) will not work well with a battery over 3.2V. It will jump back and forth between two levels as a warning of the overdriving battery. I don't know if it will continue safely if you keep it on in that manner, but best not to try.

The older luxeon KL1 bezel E1L will work well with any single cell you can fit in it as it will accept a range of 3V to 9V.

I use 3.0V RCR like the Tenergy in my KX1. You can find these in many online stores, but you will need a dedicated charger too. They are lower capacity than 3.6V RCR as the circuit takes some energy while controlling the voltage. They work well in the KX1 as mine puts out noticeably more light with the 3.0V RCR than while running a primary - but will last much less than half the time. but if your use is only minutes a day as mine is, then you can just recharge when convenient.

Is it safe to use Panasonic CR123 type 17335 li-on rechargeable battery for my E1L ? Is that protected or unprotected cell ?