need some help

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, I'm a newbie here and a little flustered with all of the information I've stumbled on here, so I was hoping that somebody could guide me a little. I'm looking for a replacement for my Mini-Mag AA. I need something that's around the same size, but brighter and has a longer battery life. It also needs to be focusable and water resistant (worried about rain getting too it). Lastly, I don't want to spend too much money on it because, well, I'm not willing to spend something like $100 on a flashlight (yet
wink.gif
!) Thanks.

Saaby

Flashaholic
You don't need to replace it, you need to Opalec it. Basically you spend $30 on this thing that comes to your door. When it gets there you take it out of it's plastic baggie and take the head off your Mag. Then you take out the bulb and pop off that black plastic disk and pop the Opalec in, easy as pie!

Others here can explain it better etc. etc. as I do not yet have a Minimag with Opalec conversion.

And since that only costed you $30 and your budget is $100 (
wink.gif
) you might as well pick up an Arc AAA flashlight to be with you 24/7/365...no man, woman, or child is complete without one!

By the way, welcome to CPF...I'm Saaby

Starlight

Enlightened
Hi glowstick. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you stay with AA alkaline cells in a minimag it is impossible to have brighter and longer lasting at the same time. The amount of light you get is based on the output of the batteries you use. Brighter is always a trade off for long lasting.

If you want brighter and about the same size, try a surefire E2. They're about $70, significantly brighter, but use fairly expensive batteries.

If you want longer lasting, you need an led conversion without regulation. The regulated led lights will increase output, but once again at the expense of run time.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Whathuh hmmm...I was under the impression that the Opalec conversion offered very good runtime!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
Whathuh hmmm...I was under the impression that the Opalec conversion offered very good runtime!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glowstick,

The Opalec conversion will give you at least 8 straight hours of rock solid, undiminished brightness according to Brock's measurements

The advantage of "regulation" (a built-in circuit that keeps voltage steady as the batteries are used up) is that you will get a longer period of BRIGHT runtime at the expense of total runtime. This extra runtime afforded by unregulated lights will be quite dim and will gradually fade away.
The regulation circuit thus alters the depletion curve of the batteries, using the stored energy at a different rate and proportion. The difference between unregulated and regulated is a bright start and gradual dimming for unregulated as opposed to steady (or relatively steady depending on circuit design) brightness for a longer period followed by a more abrupt dimming for regulated.

Even without regulation, the use of rechargeable or lithium batteries will give you a depletion curve similar to a regulated circuit with the rechargeables producing more of this effect.

So if you stick with your Minimag AA you have several options:

1)An Opalec "drop-in" regulated LED module: Not as bright as your incandescent but much longer non-dimming burn.

2) Regular bulb (lamp) with lithium batteries: Brighter light with greater burn time. Lithium batteries are expensive.

3) Rechargeable batteries: Somewhat dimmer than alkalines or lithiums but longer bright run time.

4)Non standard bulb: The Nexstar bulb from Brinkmanns burns brighter than the standard bulb. Adding lithiums to this bulb gives you a mini mag on steroids, but the added cost of lithiums and the somewhat reduced runtime caused by the brighter bulb are factors to consider.

You might also consider a different flashlight altogether.

If you want a very small, more than adequately bright (for normal everyday use) flashlight with good runtime the two I would recommend both use 2 123 lithium batteries:

1) Surefire E2 with the new lower power MN02 bulb which will give approximately 2.5 hours burntime. It is brighter and shorter than the Mag AA, and comes in different versions with different features such as more, or less waterproof, regular or anti-roll (hexagonal) bezel, etc. It is not cheap, but is of the finest quality and has the famous supersmooth Surefire beam.

2) Underwater Kinetics 2L, a perennial favorite for many years, brighter and shorter though slightly thicker than the E2 and is a true divelight; absolutely waterproof. Although its beam is not as perfect as the E2's it will project further. The light is nearly indestructible and will run for 2:45-3 hours. It is about one third the price of the E2.

NOTE: I have not yet revceived my recently ordered MN02, so I haven't personally tested it in the E2, but there are several reviews posted on this board.

There are other small fairly bright lights such as the Princeton Tec Rage, but they are usually inferior to the E2/MN02 and UKE 2L in one characteristic or another (For example: the otherwise excellent Rage has an unfortunately short burntime)

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the welcome. I'm still looking at the Opalec and the Nexstar, but where in the world do I find these things? The Surefire E2 with the MNO2 bulb looks promising, but again, where would I pick one of those up? Saaby, I totally agree with you on the Arc AAA. I just pick up an LE version and I love it. Use it several times a day and I go out of my way just to use it. More questions: Are the lithium 123's the same things that I can pick up at Wallmart for my camera? I was also looking at Glow-Bug and some other sites and saw some lights that also might fit the biil: Nightstar Ledda, Brinkman Luxeon star, Treck 3, Treck 4, Lightwave 2000. Are these any good and do they fit what I'm looking for? (I'm still not too sure how to judge a light)

B@rt

Flashaholic
You might want to take a look at the LED Museum , for info about those lights. There are other reviewers too. Look for them at the link page...

I'm sure you'll find a lot of info on the lights you mentioned.

Hope this helps,

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tip on the link page *BlackBart*. I think that should be my ticket