Tried out my new DBS R2 this morning - OMG!

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
After losing my Stinger earlier this fall, I stumbled across the CPF for advice. Ordered a T10C2 - beautiful light, not exactly what I was looking for. Ordered an Olight T20 as a Christmas present for a finicky hunter - nice light, it will serve him well. Wound up ordering a DBS R2 from Flashcrazy and then a TK11 while waiting for the Dereelight to arrive (I need help!). So I'll keep two and give two away as Cristmas presents.

Tested my DBS first time this moring while out hunting. We have 2" of snow here this moring and I light up a fence row across the fields that is exactly 350 yards away!. If a buck had been standing there, I could have counted tines. And I think this light would have thrown even farther if I'd been on the other side of the farm. What a light!

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Congrats on your DBS. I have one and love it.
But... I am surprised that you had time to order and receive another light while waiting for the DBS from FlashCrazy. He has super fast shipping!

Enjoy the DBS :)

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Actually I got the DBS from Flashcrazy in two days from California to Michigan, I ordered the TK11 for PTS, Inc. in Washington state between those two days - should be here soon. Flashcrazy must ship his stuff on a private jet, can't believe it got here that quick.

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine yesterday so i should get it soon.cant wait.Can u post a beam shot with the DBS shining on the 350yd fence.:poke:.

What did u get the smooth or op reflector.one or three stage pill.

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Smooth reflector, 3SD pill with Flashcrazy's last R2. Actually I think at the lowest setting, it out throws my old Stinger which had a decent casting beam.

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
OMFG i am speechless.I shun my 4D mag(tle300m) on the wall in daylight ant then i shun my DBS on the mags hot spot..........and the DBS was like 4 times brighter.:twothumbs I'm going out tonight:wave: when it gets dark and i cant wait to test this.I'll try and get some beam shots compared to the 4D mag TLE300M.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMFG i am speechless.I shun my 4D mag(tle300m) on the wall in daylight ant then i shun my DBS on the mags hot spot..........and the DBS was like 4 times brighter.:twothumbs I'm going out tonight:wave: when it gets dark and i cant wait to test this.I'll try and get some beam shots compared to the 4D mag TLE300M.

This is what one would expect. The TLE300M should have more lumens, but multi-emitter lights don't throw as well as a single emitter in a larger reflector.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Reviving an old thread here.

I just found some beamshots of the Skyline 1 and the JetBeam RRT-1. They're unbelievable! Unless the photos were over-exposed, those two lights can really throw. I'm most impressed by the photos of the hotspots on the side of a building over 200 meters away.

How does the DBS with a XRE-R2 in a smooth reflector stack up against those two? Thanks.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviving an old thread here.

I just found some beamshots of the Skyline 1 and the JetBeam RRT-1. They're unbelievable! Unless the photos were over-exposed, those two lights can really throw. I'm most impressed by the photos of the hotspots on the side of a building over 200 meters away.

How does the DBS with a XRE-R2 in a smooth reflector stack up against those two? Thanks.

Not exact...but RRT-1 is about 35,000 lux, DBS 33,000, Skyline 1 20,000 lux.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight DBS R2 is a perfect combo for awesome throw.

If you ever need more lumens = my favorate combo was putting Nailbenders sST-50 2.5A drop-in in there (just the pill). 500ish OTF, or more then double the lumens with similar throw.

Oh, and nailbender also makes a 1.3A P60 drop-in that when potted my XRE-R2 sample doses 290ish OTF.

The DBS is a perfect hosts for throw and the lego/P60 compatibilities are crazy :sick2::naughty::eek::oops::wave:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you can get the aspheric lens for the DBS and my XR-E R2 3SD went from 30,000LUX with the smooth reflector to 60,000LUX with the aspheric.

red02

Enlightened
the skyline is that close? no doubt those pics were over exposed now...

will the dbs get top heavy with an aspheric?

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Got my DBS V3 with a 3SD R2 WG in a SST SMO.

Despite having seen pictures of it side by side the CL1H, which I also have, it is considerably more compact than I had expected.

Saw the hotspot of a thrower for the first time...WTH?

Ah, the hotspot has layers, like growth rings of a tree. These layers converge concentrically at close range and grow radially at different rates with increased distance. The most intense spot in the center, as expected, is what does most of the throwing.

The beam is remarkably clean, except for the visible dimmer spot at dead center, which is noticeable from 10 to 30 feet. Closer than that and the rays converge to cover it up and farther than that, my eyes just can't tell the difference.

Throw is highly subjective. Wade, you must take in a lot of vitamin A, because I cap the functional throw from the DBS with a R2 in a SMO at 600 feet, which is impressive given the size of the light, and the CL1H, also with a R2 in a SMO, at only 200 feet. Beyond those distances, all I can see is a hint of light, if a move the spot around.

The WG R2 has a very nice tint, that is until I brought it next to my Solarforce R2, then it looks slightly green. That's a head scratcher for me. The Solarforce R2, in all my tint comparisions thus far, is still pure white. Must have been lucky.

BTW thanks for your help in helping me make up my mind about this light. BigC, Wade, Red, Stallion, KenGPS, Selfbuilt, and anyone else who answered my questions. No regretes getting this light at all...for now.

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Pop in a Nailbender SST-50 pill and see how it really shines. I really like my DBS, especially since I'll be able to continue updating the light engines as they get better.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Followed by three juveniles, an adult raccoon scurried across my backyard about an hour ago. The adult raccoon, I guess it was the mama, had ventured into the yard first, to scout. While checking out her surroundings, she overturned several potted plants in search of water, then stood on her hind legs, her front legs supporting her fat body against the common fence I share with my neighbor, and signaled for her young to follow. I thought I'd test my DBS R2 on this creature of the night and put the spot on her: she was completely unfazed!

Instead of averting her gaze, she stared right into the beam from about 30 feet away, completely unimpressed. For a moment, it seemed as though she was thinking, "Gee, thanks for lighting up our path." So much for my ego. Nature 1, silly human with gadget 0. And to think, I told someone to shoo off a coyote with a flashlight.:poke:.