RA 85 or RA 100? is the red worth it?

Optik49

Enlightened
I'm sure most people haven't used both but I'm curious if 15 lumens less to get the red low is worth it? Also if you have a RA-85 do you use the red? Is it useful?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 - Optik 49.

Yep, I too would really like to know this.

Almost pushed the button on this one a few times now, Dr.Strangelove would be proud of the struggle between my 'push send' hand with my 'wallet conscious' hand whilst I can only look on and wonder who'll win!

Feedback on this much mentioned light would be great.

Be lucky....

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not just the red. The red version has more throw, the beam is narrower.

I'd go with the red if I had the funds to get one. The ability for low red and a narrower beam is worth the 15 lm difference. A 15lm difference isn't even noticeable to the naked eye.

Optik49

Enlightened

Tell me about it, I preordered the clicky because I could not make up my mind and I like clicky light more.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
What's great about the 85Tr versus the 100Tw is that the difference in output of 15lm (which is almost not noticeable) is trumped by the ~20% increase in throw from the osram emitter.

The red is perfect for navigating around the house at night, maintaining the natural night vision of our eyes. A low level white can accomplish the same thing, but with the 85Tr you have a choice!

So yes, the Tr is worth it. It costs less, and gives you more options... Now if you perhaps want a little wider hotspot, and still decent throw, with 15lm more output, no red, and higher cost, go for the 100Tw!

Both of them will do you well; red withstanding for special purposes, white for the extra output.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Enzo,

Just about convinced me to go with the 85. Always like red for those nightime excursions to the bathroom, traversing a hazardous wasteland of discarded toys and cups and clothes ( not me, my kids!) on the way with eyes that just want to be closed and sleeping.

Cool bananas,

Be lucky...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pics of the red lit up?

Not beamshots, but into the emitter?
I remember seeing them one time and just tried searching with no luck

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Any pics of the red lit up?

Not beamshots, but into the emitter?
I remember seeing them one time and just tried searching with no luck

redmacro.jpg

dtsoll

Enlightened
Guys have you checked out Enzo's Ra Twisty information repository? It is packed with info and ultimately led me to pull the trigger. I have the Ra 85 and I don't use the red but im glad it's there, i sometimes program it in but always seem to go back to the .08lm for a nitelight. It's a great light and Im glad I bought it!!!!!! Doug:)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 85-TR and love the narrow beam AND the spill is very usable.

The red is PERFECT for reading at night when the woman cannot be bothered and trips to the bathroom!

I would buy a 85-TR again in a heartbeat if I lost mine.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it true the red draws 500mA? I've heard the red wasn't supposed to be used in such a way and was there as a warning if the LED wasn't wired correctly. Has anyone figured out if this is the case?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this Cree UV emitter that has a red die that will light up when tapped just right along with the UV.
From what I understand, it is reverse polarity protection.
I wonder I were to use the driver from a Ra, if I could make the UV emither do the same as the Golden Dragon??

Just look at my Avitar for what I am talking about.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this Cree UV emitter that has a red die that will light up when tapped just right along with the UV.
From what I understand, it is reverse polarity protection.
I wonder I were to use the driver from a Ra, if I could make the UV emither do the same as the Golden Dragon??

Just look at my Avitar for what I am talking about.

It's lighting up in the forward current I think in your other thread the comment about it being an indicator of correct hook up more likely than it as a reverse current indicator.

Why not try pulling up the spec sheets from Cree to see what it says.

About the red drawing 500mAh. My guess is it's drawing much less due to the runtime charts posted. http://www.bisdow.com/raaa/ratwistyruntime.html
Assuming a CR123 has 1500mAh and a converter efficiency of 80% and with a runtime of ~10 hours I'd say about ~120-150mAh to the LED. Yes it's a reverse current indicator that wasn't designed this way, but it's an interesting use of it.

Last edited:

tricker

Enlightened
Is it true the red draws 500mA? I've heard the red wasn't supposed to be used in such a way and was there as a warning if the LED wasn't wired correctly. Has anyone figured out if this is the case?

yes, 7777 verified this as to why he wouldn't try it on the smart PD

Hi Benny :wave:

We looked into this two months ago when most this stuff is on the drawing board.

Yes, the new HDS flashlight indeed uses the OSRAM GOLDEN DRAGON, but the red
LED is not designed to be a dual-LED, but rather a reminder LED to remind
users and avoid mis-assembly of the LED's positive and negative ends. We
have considered before to use this LED to add some functions, we had
contacted the head quarter of Osram in Germany, and they do not suggest
this kind of use. Furthermore, we have tested, and it turned out that to make
this red LED ON, there should be at least 500mA of reverse current, which is
in no way energy efficient.

Also, the latest OSRAM products, the brighter Golden Dragon Plus (W5AM),
they do not have this red LED. We can only have this red LED in old Golden
Dragon (W5SM). We use the latest Osram GDP.

About this red LED, you may refer to the data sheet here, page 13 here
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalog...=downloadFile&favOid=0200000000021ae3000200b6

this is why i would pick the Ra100

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
yes, 7777 verified this as to why he wouldn't try it on the smart PD.

this is why i would pick the Ra100

Yes.. But read HDS's methodology about the red diode:
HDS said:
"Further, the specification sheet states in the Maximum Rating section that the LED is not designed for continuous reverse operation. However, a clever application of this "feature" would be in a flashlight that provides power in the forward direction for white light and power in the reverse direction for red light. "

I would reckon that HDS devised a way to use this protection diode safely. It is true though that it is not the most efficient diode, at roughly 37 hours of continuous runtime on a fresh CR123 primary, where you can get 4 days at 0.33lm of white.

tricker

Enlightened
its is safe...I know henry wouldn't release something that isn't.....but osram obviously didn't want the red to be used as a continuous source of light and as you know the runtime for such low level of light(on red) leaves alot to be desired.... but if you want a tough light with a low red this is your only option(not that its a bad option) go for it:thumbsup:

Last edited: