malkoff + aspherical = ?

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
hi guys i was wondering if anyone here ever done a m*g malkoff with the aspherical lens

i tried a quick search but only found some threads comparing the P7 with the Kaidoman Q5 & aspherical lens

the reason i ask is i am thinking about adding the malkoff in my 6c m*g with the aspherical lens... and if im lucky probably find someone that can make a strike bezel to protect the lens

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I had one!

Did pretty well but since Gene uses a Seoul it is not quite as good as it could be for Asphericals. You can still get sharp focus and great throw just not quite as bright as a Q5 I tried.

Just the nature of the output pattern differences between LED types.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better route would be the KD Cree Q5 dropin with an aspheric lens. The beam pattern is better suited.

300winmag

Enlightened
I have a triple from Gene, for some reason I think that the beam would look crazy with an aspherical , anybody tried that?
Where would one get a good aspherical lens for this app?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You could look for 3 small ones, be hard to find. You would probably get 3 emitter shapes in a triangle too.

Neat!

300winmag

Enlightened
I am wondering if it would be worth getting an Exotic 52mm MLC Aspherical Lens for M*g from KD?. The triple is a flooder so I am thinking of getting another lens and bezel to swap out when I want throw.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering if it would be worth getting an Exotic 52mm MLC Aspherical Lens for M*g from KD?. The triple is a flooder so I am thinking of getting another lens and bezel to swap out when I want throw.

Nope. More than one light source + reflector + aspheric lens off-center from each LED = horrible beam.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the Asphericals from KD, it does indeed work best with the KD Mag drop in. The Malkoff doesn't seem to resolve into a tight spot beam with this lens, although it is a much brighter and superior drop in when coupled with a reflector, fantasticly bright spill too.

After my initial disappointment, I went back to the old KD led and the malkoff is my 'Wall of light' go to torch in its 2C - 18650 configuration.

Just to say, I have no affiliation with either company, and other drop ins are available. I just like what is bright and cool and not too expensive!!

Be lucky...

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget trying to use an aspheric lens with a P4, it comes out
horrible. Once focused correctly not only will you see a projection
of the dies but also the tiny wires that connect to the dies.
They come out as two big black lines :sick2:
Stick with KDs own Q5 dropin :thumbsup:

If you do find someone to make a strike bezel that will protect the
aspheric lens, make a few more .... THEY WILL SELL like hot cakes

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
from the looks of it, sounds like a lot of people want a bezel that can protect an aspherical lens.... so how come no one makes them?

BTW thanks for the input everyone so now im just one the fence with either the malkoff or the KD led & lens combo

but im probably going to go with the malkoff cause ill sacrifice throw for brightness