Minor E2DL annoyance

ja10

Enlightened
I noticed today that if I set my E2DL down on the tail cap with any sort of enthusiasm, it changes modes. I'm not slamming it down, but just giving it a moderate tap.

I haven't seen this issue posted before - does this happen to anyone else? In all fairness, it happens more often with my RCRs which must be just a hair shorter, but it will do it with primaries as well.

Any suggestions? I tried pulling the spring a bit to give more tension, but that didn't do much.

Last edited:

milox

Newly Enlightened
Same happens with my e2dl, there was a discussion about this earlier
dont know if there is a solution to this problem.

ja10

Enlightened
I will take a look and see if I can find that thread - do you remember the title?

I would have guessed that the SF engineers would have put some sort of minimum delay before switching modes. If clicks had to be 100ms apart, I bet that would probably prevent this from happening. I'm no engineer, so maybe the electronics can't handle very fine timing, but it seems silly to me.

The other odd thing is that it easily switches from High to Low, but it takes a heavier tap to get it to go from Low to High.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
I haven't noticed this yet, I'll give it a check and get back to you...

ja10

Enlightened
I emailed SF. I couldn't find the previous thread, but we'll see if they come back with anything.

If anyone knows of the previous thread(s) where this was discussed, let me know.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Doesn't happen with mine at all...don't have a clue what could cause this.

ja10

Enlightened
I think what's happening is that the momentum of the batteries are compressing the spring, causing a split second break in contact with the head. Without some sort of minimum time between clicks, the light will always change modes.

So yours won't do it at all? What if you hold the light vertically (bezel up) and smack the tail with your palm? I can change modes all day long doing that (although I'd rather not :))

1996alnl

Enlightened
I think what's happening is that the momentum of the batteries are compressing the spring, causing a split second break in contact with the head. Without some sort of minimum time between clicks, the light will always change modes.

So yours won't do it at all? What if you hold the light vertically (bezel up) and smack the tail with your palm? I can change modes all day long doing that (although I'd rather not :))

No,i tried everything.It stays on the same mode.
I think your right about the battery issue,try putting some sort of spacer in it,so the batteries are in there tighter.
Let us know how you make out.

ja10

Enlightened
I got a response from Surefire. They said that a new tailcap may fix my problem, so they're sending a new one out :twothumbs

Even if this doesn't fix the issue, I appreciate SF sending me a tailcap free of charge, rather than me sending the light in for a few weeks to have them look at it. I had an L1 tailcap fail, and they did the same thing. Top notch service!

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
I know it took me a while to check mine out, it slipped my mind, but yeah, I tried it and it does exactly the same. If I let is drop from an inch (tailstand position) it will switch output modes, my best guess is that it totally has to do with the momentum of the batteries compressing the spring (temporarily opening the circuit) and then bouncing back up closing the circuit again causing a change in the output as if tapping the tailswitch. It doesnt really bother me that much so I'll leave it as it is, but its good to hear surefire responded like that!