My SS LD01's First Piercing! Result: Permanent Pocket Clip!

phatalbert

Enlightened
The one thing I really wanted for my beautiful Stainless Steel LD01 (courtesy of www.4sevens.com ) was a pocket clip that didn't easily move around or altogether slide off. I set out to accomplish this task with a dremel, a couple of 1/16th drill bits from Wal-Mart and a lot of heart.

Turns out, smooth stainless steel is EXTREMELY hard to drill through. After breaking both drill bits (multiple times, but continuing to use them, only pausing when they literally turned red hot) and burning my fingers I finally got a hole in the clip!

Originally I planned to use a eyeglass size screw and nut but could not find a nut at all, nor a screw long enough. A I deemed my project "postponed indefinitely" and began to feel sorry for myself, the thought suddenly occurred to me to use the included keyring!

Though my project lacked proper tools, supplies and skill (and it is virtually irreversible :whistle:) I now have a pocket clip that is firmly affixed to my light! It can also still be attached to keys and still tail-stand!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for!

IMG_7558-1.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7571-1.jpg

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if one could just tap the hole... at that point it would be fairly trivial to engineer a clip with a hole and a tab to fit the notch to keep it from spinning.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job, phatalbert.

Is this light the same size as the little AAA Maglite solitaire that's sold everywhere for $5? I need a light that small. I would appreciate it if someone can do a size comparison. Thanks.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job, phatalbert.

Is this light the same size as the little AAA Maglite solitaire that's sold everywhere for $5? I need a light that small. I would appreciate it if someone can do a size comparison. Thanks.

Ask and ye shall receive! The LD01 is slightly larger in diameter and slightly shorter than the Solitaire.

Exact measurements are:
LD01 length 3"/76.20mm and dia. .565"/14.35mm
Solitaire length 3.204"/81.38mm and dia. .5"/12.70mm

DSCF2176rs.jpg

DSCF2175rs.jpg

Last edited:

phatalbert

Enlightened
Yeah there is a small amount of movement side to side and up and down, but it can still tailstand great!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a bit of SuperGlue under the clip? Wouldn't that work well enough without drilling holes in the light? I would imagine you could break the glue loose and clean it off, too, if you wanted to pass the light on to somebody who didn't want the clip.

phatalbert

Enlightened
How about a bit of SuperGlue under the clip? Wouldn't that work well enough without drilling holes in the light? I would imagine you could break the glue loose and clean it off, too, if you wanted to pass the light on to somebody who didn't want the clip.

The only thing permanent about my method is the hole in the clip. You could always snip the split ring off if you decided you didn't wan the clip anymore and would be left with an unaltered LD01 and a clip with a small hole in the back ;)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec,

Thank you for posting the size comparison. It helps a lot.

vovw

Newly Enlightened
I set out to accomplish this task with a dremel, a couple of 1/16th drill bits from Wal-Mart and a lot of heart.

Turns out, smooth stainless steel is EXTREMELY hard to drill through. After breaking both drill bits (multiple times, but continuing to use them, only pausing when they literally turned red hot) and burning my fingers I finally got a hole in the clip!

That's the problem, Dremel spins way to fast to drill steel, so you killed the temper of drill bit, which makes it either too brittle or too soft, and possibly hardened the stainless steel you are trying to drill. Next time go slow (300 rpm at most), plenty of cooling and lubrication and you will go through it in no time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That's the problem, Dremel spins way to fast to drill steel, so you killed the temper of drill bit, which makes it either too brittle or too soft, and possibly hardened the stainless steel you are trying to drill. Next time go slow (300 rpm at most), plenty of cooling and lubrication and you will go through it in no time.
drilling stainless is tough... need sharp bits... high speed steel with lubrication and have to press harder than usual too. I find going about 50% faster helps sometimes too.... but not way too fast just ends up heating the bit up which then can lose its temper and not cut as well.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which pocket clip is that? It does not appear to be the Fenix branded clip.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Diamond bits aren't too hard to come by these days and would probably be a good bet, but still go slower with it.