Is wikipedia down?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mecry:

I have been unable to access wikipedia since Thursday in any computers that I have tried and I can't find out anything on the net to say that it is down.

Has anyone else in other parts of the world experienced this?

Thanks

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wikipedia got censored in UK. Maybe your problems are related to that?
Thanks for that link.

It appears that the U.K. regulatory agency, theInternet watch foundation (IWF) which I had not heard of until today has blacklisted wikipedia meaning that none of the wikipedia web pages are visible. :mad: Well they could have just censored the one web page that caused the issues and not the entire site!

Oh well I guess thats what happens when regulatory agencies go overboard... I knew they did censoring like this in China but here... Thanks a lot IWF.

Lets hope that we can get Wikipedia back on our monitors in the UK soon.

kris994

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that link.

It appears that the U.K. regulatory agency, theInternet watch foundation (IWF) which I had not heard of until today has blacklisted wikipedia meaning that none of the wikipedia web pages are visible. :mad: Well they could have just censored the one web page that caused the issues and not the entire site!

Oh well I guess thats what happens when regulatory agencies go overboard... I knew they did censoring like this in China but here... Thanks a lot IWF.

Lets hope that we can get Wikipedia back on our monitors in the UK soon.
It's ridiculous imo.. especially when the image is on amazon and now several hundred other sites..

Helmut.G

Enlightened
of course it's ridiculous, but that's the way it is in our society
wikipedia got censored in Germany, too, some weeks ago because some politician didn't like what it said about him
but they fortunately didn't do it properly, they just banned wikipedia.de from forwarding visitors to the real site, which is de.wikipedia.org
after the article on the guy was edited they removed the ban
he could've edited it himself instead of blocking the whole wikipedia to millions of users that don't know the real url, but I guess he doesn't even know that that's possible :shakehead

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's ridiculous... Sure makes us appreciate things we take for granted, like being able to read websites we want. :green:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is just a sign of what is going on for years now, a glimpse of the real restrictions and control mechanisms that are already in place.
Disgusting. But one problem out of so many.
bernie

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few minutes of research (on Wikipedia, of course :) ) I found that it was censored in May and that the block was LIFTED today. Kind of strange that people are only noticing that it's down once it isn't down anymore. :shrug:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few minutes of research (on Wikipedia, of course :) ) I found that it was censored in May and that the block was LIFTED today. Kind of strange that people are only noticing that it's down once it isn't down anymore. :shrug:
It was only censored last week in the UK and was still down last night here but has thankfully been up and running this morning. :twothumbs

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I found the source of my confusion. I've gathered the following timeline:

May: image reported to FBI.
December 5th: page blocked.
December 9th (yesterday): page unblocked.

So, it wasn't censored in May, it just got reported. The block was, however, lifted yesterday, the day this thread was started. I guess it just took a while for a CPFer to post about it.