LD01 or LD01 stainless steel special eddition

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
My parents have just asked me wich of the above fenix's i would rather get for chrismas, and i cant decide so i was wondering if anyone could help with some questions.
1. Does the ss version have better heat sinking than the normal version.
2. I there still the problem with mode switching with the ss version
3. Are some of these lights still being sent with that horrible squid green led tint
4. If you were me which one would you get.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. No. However, as long as you're using standard ~1.5V AAA batteries it'll be fine.
2. There shouldn't be. If you have the problem it won't be hard to get a replacement, fenix knows it's an issue and are providing replacements.
3. The regular and the SS version are both equally likely to have a vile tint
4. SS, NO contest. Gorgeous :). Getting one for my dad, one for me. And no, I can't really afford one, let alone 2 :p

Enjoy it :)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
SS - If it's going to be a discusssion and a deal just to get a light you might as well get the one that will last longer.

The SS body is going to take plenty more abuse tha the Al one.

After you get it your first mission should be to feed it E2's and source a clear chapstick cap to use as a diffuser. White cuts down too many lumens, find a clear one and hit it up with some fine sandpaper.

Makes a good reading light this way on low.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more of a personal preference, however I'll offer an alternative view for balance.

It might be important to note that the SS version is twice as heavy as the aluminum version. Some folks will like that, but it is something to consider if you will be using it on your keyring as I found even the aluminum version almost a bit heavy for the keyring.

Either way it's a great little light and I'm sure it will give you many years of excellent service. Enjoy!

moroccodave

Newly Enlightened
I just received my LD01 SS on Saturday. For what they're worth, here are my quick impressions when comparing it to my wife's L0D Q5:

1. Weight: I knew the LD01 would be heavier, but I was a bit surprised by just how much heavier it seemed to be. L0D wins

2. Beam quality: LD01 wins hands down. Far less "ringy".

3. Tint: Wow, my LD01 has a superb neutral to warm white tint. By far the best of any LED light I've seen. I must have won the proverbial tint lottery. LD01 wins.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I really like my SS version, there is certainly less visible PWM than on the L0D-CE and I quite like the weight although I would agree that it is a little much for a keyring. I have left my L0D on my keyring because of the weight but I am actually using the LD01 because it is so much nicer, the weight makes it feel more substantial (reassuringly heavy!).

Andrew