Streamlight ProPoly 4xAA revisited: A question...

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
I've got several of these lights and really like them, mostly for the form factor. They feel good in the hand and I think they're just the right size for the toolbox or working around the house. I have plenty of other AA and AAA led lights that I value for their pocketability, but don't regard as work lights.

Problem is, the intense, narrow hotspot which makes them a decent thrower also makes them less than ideal for close-up work.

Is there any way to get a more diffuse (floody) beam out of one of these things?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick, easy and cheap: Scotch Magic Tape. Diffuses the beam nicely. You will lose some total output, but there is plenty in those lights. Also this is easily reversible-just peel off.

You can also use WriteRight film. This is the stuff the sell to protect PDA screens. The type for the old monochrome displays works best. Available cheap on eBay. Again peels off easily.

Measure the bezel diameter and see if you can find a Surefire slip-on diffuser that fits. Works great but the most expensive option.

Try the magic tape.

Mark

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Quick, easy and cheap: Scotch Magic Tape.

Ew. Certainly the most cost-effective solution, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do this. To me, it would be like using sticky tape to fix those broken plastic eyeglass frames... :green:

:) ...but thanks, Mark.

carrot

Flashaholic
The reflector most likely has a smooth surface. Making a heavy orange peel reflector would probably make it less throwy. I don't remember exactly what kind but I'm pretty sure the DIY method is Krylon on the reflector.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've done the DIY krylon method on a few lights, and it can work to diffuse the hotspot. But unfortunately it's irreversible, and doesn't really help much as close quarters (i.e. beam pattern stays the same overall, just with a less defined hotspot)

If scotch tape is not acceptable to you, how about Glad press 'n seal? You can cut a circle of the right diameter, and easily attach and remove from the lens. In my experience, this works quite well as a diffuser to give you a floodier beam.

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
... Making a heavy orange peel reflector would probably make it less throwy...DIY method is Krylon on the reflector.

This I could see myself doing. Thanks, Orange One.

(I could even see putting the afore mentioned screen protector material on the reflector, though I doubt I'd ever even come close to getting the shape right so it went on smoothly)

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
...how about Glad press 'n seal? You can cut a circle of the right diameter, and easily attach and remove from the lens...

Oh... I suppose I could try it. It just irks me to have to attenuate the beam when all I want to do is reshape it. Seems like a waste.

I was not aware of this press 'n seal stuff, thanks for mentioning it.

insanefred

Enlightened
go get some Lee filters from you local camera store. These are design for maximum light transmission an heat resistant. For your the polypro you will need to fit this mod inside the light. I usually recommend light frost #101 to start with.
This is 100% reversible, cost effective with minimal time consumption. Cheap too:thumbsup:

Just a tip, if you decide to remove it temporary, place it in your wallet or a folder. So you don't lose them.

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
go get some Lee filters from you local camera store. These are design for maximum light transmission an heat resistant...I usually recommend light frost #101 to start with...

Interesting... I'll have to drop by my local Wolf Camera and see if they have such a thing. Thanks, ifred.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone here also swapped the emitter with SSCP4. With that big reflector it would be quite a thrower....

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Someone here also swapped the emitter with SSCP4. With that big reflector it would be quite a thrower....

Well, the stock SL 4xAA Propoly Lux is already a pretty good thrower. I was kinda' looking for suggestions as to how to make this particular light into less of a thrower and more of a general-purpose work light. Just FWIW. :)

rala

Newly Enlightened
since a surefire diffuser is beyond my reach, i made my own. i got a cheap flip up scope cover from walmart and put a layer of WriteRight-ish film over its lens. less than $5. yay.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the Glad Press'n Seal, and it works well, but you should know it also is somewhat directional, meaning the hotspot will become slightly oval - I use that to my advantage on a headlamp. It also leaves a bit of residue when removed after a while, but I have had no problem lifting that off with a piece of masking tape. I think you can easily trap a diffuser disk between the reflector and the lense in the Propoly, and the most effective one I have found is Cut-Rite wax paper. Don't laugh, it makes a nice wall of light, and believe it or not, does not seem to reduce overall output appreciably. Just won't work on a real hot light, i.e. incandescents. Price is right, easy to reverse.

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
I have used the Glad Press'n Seal, and it works well, but you should know it also is somewhat directional, meaning the hotspot will become slightly oval...and the most effective one I have found is Cut-Rite wax paper. Don't laugh...

Too late :p (just kidding)

I think I'll try the Lee filter material that ifred recommended, first. I would think that something made for photography would be maximally transmissive (dunno', just a thought). It is nice to know there are plenty of alternatives.

Thanks to all...