Windows XP install question

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I know that you have to activate windows XP once you've completed the installation. As we all know, this requires internet service. I want to install the internet service immediately AFTER I've completed the windows XP installation. (Keep in mind this will be AT&T DSL service, and it does require some software intallation before use, e.g. it's not plug & play).

Will a non-activated setup of windows XP allow me to install the internet software, or is it going to make things difficult by requiring activation before I install any other software?

Lexus

Enlightened
AFAIK, a non-activated win XP runs fine the first 30 days. You should have no problems installing internet service before activation.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
AFAIK, a non-activated win XP runs fine the first 30 days. You should have no problems installing internet service before activation.

Ok. That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. I haven't installed a Windows XP that's required activation in awhile. :D

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to have inernet access at all. I lost the Windows XP copy for one of our PC's, and used another copy I had that came with our laptop to install it on our PC twice. Since the install CD wasn't keyed to the PC, the install code didn't work for the PC install. Both times I just called Microsoft customer service and they gave me a registration code that worked.

meuge

Enlightened
I know that you have to activate windows XP once you've completed the installation. As we all know, this requires internet service. I want to install the internet service immediately AFTER I've completed the windows XP installation. (Keep in mind this will be AT&T DSL service, and it does require some software intallation before use, e.g. it's not plug & play).

Will a non-activated setup of windows XP allow me to install the internet software, or is it going to make things difficult by requiring activation before I install any other software?
99% of DSL modems will happily run via commands by a router, rather than off the computer. AT&T might tell you that this is not the case, but that's because they want you to pay for every computer you connect. Get a Linksys WRT-54GL router (runs Linux) and you can dial any DSL model with it. A friend of mine used AT&T's DSL service, and it worked just fine. This way, your connection is independent of your operating system, and the whole question is moot.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Tangentially, if the disc you're using to install Windows XP is pre-Service Pack 2, then before you plug in the network cable, first enable the firewall. This prevents infection by network worms.

how to enable the firewall

Using a router would be another way to defend the system from direct over-the-wire attacks. Network worms don't require any user interaction (visiting websites, etc) so make sure you have firewall protection before connecting the cable.

Naturally, once you get WinXP installed, you should update it at http://update.microsoft.com (one visit to upgrade the engine to Microsoft Update, a second visit to get Service Packs, and a third visit to get patches that come after the Service Pack). And also check it with Secunia's free Personal Software Inspector and fully enable your Data Execution Prevention (instructions at #6 here).

Last edited:

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
99% of DSL modems will happily run via commands by a router, rather than off the computer. AT&T might tell you that this is not the case, but that's because they want you to pay for every computer you connect. Get a Linksys WRT-54GL router (runs Linux) and you can dial any DSL model with it. A friend of mine used AT&T's DSL service, and it worked just fine. This way, your connection is independent of your operating system, and the whole question is moot.

+1 on using a router. Good reasons above and also if for no other reason than isolating your computer one step more difficult for bad guys to reach and it won't slow down your 'net usage anyway. It's in Mech's guide to security. Good guide. Follow... follow... :)

Generally it's been my experience that you want to avoid installing routing software onto your computer, so beware installing any software that came with the router or the AT&T stuff. Up in New England we've got Comcast and Verizon. Both those companies want consumers to install this & that and it just causes so many problems with its intrusiveness into the OS and also needing to uninstall whatever anti-malware app after deciding on something better.

YMMV...