KD M@g Q5+Aspherical Kit good?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
malkoffs only $20 more and will last a lifetime, and its brighter :)

but ive been looking for something to buy for a while and this kd deal looks fun,

i already own a malkoff :cool:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Great kit. Super thrower at 50,000-60,000 lux. Worth every penny of $40 if your looking for that kind of throw.
Member LuxLuthor has an aspheric mag shootout somewhere in the review section of the forum.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
One noobish question: Do you still need to use the reflector and the original flat glass lens when using the aspherical kit?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One noobish question: Do you still need to use the reflector and the original flat glass lens when using the aspherical kit?

whoops, ignore my comments after this, the aspherical lens replaces the original lens in the 3D. But i am not too keen on it as it exposes the lens without the protection of the head. So you might want to consider getting the glass lens that i have suggested below this.

The stock 3D mag lens is not glass. Advisable to change to glass lens, i ordered one of these to replace my scratched stock lexan/plastic 3D Mag lens and it hsa made a vast improvement over the old lens.

As for the KD kits, i am still wavering as the 3W stock LED drop in from m@glite is still working fine and my 3D is more or less for emergency use as compared to a need for a thrower.

Think its time to get another Mag and the kit then :twothumbs

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these KD aspheric dropins kits
You get the actual Q5 dropin, "UCL" lens, Al reflector and the aspheric lens.
So that gives you the choice of running your Mag either with the aspheric lens
or the reflector/UCL set up.
For the price you pay, you cannot beat it :thumbsup:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
For what its worth, I still use the reflector in my aspheric mags, after doing some work in our optics lab. I use a stock mag reflector, trimmed so as to not touch the emitter, but rather have it sit on the aluminum surrounding the emitter. I trim the bottom of the reflector with a dremel, and then file it until the focal length of the lens is where I want it when the lens sits right on the lip of the reflector.

The KD dropin is pretty nice, and it's worth the $40 for the kit in my opinion.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn ! just recieved my kd dropin and aspheric lens, but it does not 'drop in' ! im having to file parts to get it to fit, nicely made but i think the tollerences are too tight, might give some people trouble. once i get it in there it will be very solid though.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn ! just recieved my kd dropin and aspheric lens, but it does not 'drop in' ! im having to file parts to get it to fit, nicely made but i think the tollerences are too tight, might give some people trouble. once i get it in there it will be very solid though.

I drilled the inside of the mag bulb holder out to 15/32 in. (IIRC) so the drpoin would fit well without me having to worry about the negative contact ripping the metal off of the circuit board (again).

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
same here, just took me half hour of playing to get it right, pauls right it is lovely and snug once in there, and is just as bombproof as a m*g should be. i am only running it in my 2D and am super impressed with the performance and found it works best without the reflecter in there which gives the full range of focus from lovely bright flood to super accurate beam :) i think i prefer this to my terralux 300m 6D, although both kick arse hehe