My Malkoff experience

N/Apower

Enlightened
This thing is insane. I would recommend it over any other drop-in I have seen. Period. Very bright, very good throw. It will go great on my AR-15 A4 setup! THANKS GENE!

There was no "spring stretching" necessary, and the gap between the bezel and body is noticeable only if you look for it. It is immaterial. The thing is solid and radiates quality.

Color rendition is very good as well. It is like painting whatever I point it at in a white beam. I could not be happier (well, yes I could, but until Gene figures out how to get 320 lumens instead of 220, I will just have to make do :) )

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Very interesting, my 3D Mag dropin I got around two years or so ago from Gene is still my favorite light period (with the 3C not far behind). OK, it's my favorite LED light, I still start giggling like a school girl when I hit the switch on the 623......

Back to the point, thanks for the hint on Gene's Surefire replacements. I have had a 6PL for a couple of years now, it's nice, just not really, really nice. Always use some more light out of it. Now I know how.

Thanks N/Apower!!! Glad to see your one of us satisfied Malkoff customers.

Bob E.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Well now that it got dark out I compared it again to my Cree Q5 256 lumen Optics HQ's bulb.

It is kindof weird. Inside the Malkoff beam has a VERY tight hotspot, but outside at distance it seems roughly comparable to the Optics HQ for throw.

Now keep in mind, This is at an appartment complex with ambient lighting FAR from pitch black and I have very limited areas to test in my complex. It is raining and nasty out. I will test it again later.

I was just kindof suprised, I have a 135 lumen Stremlight Super Tac that will throw VERY WELL and the Malkoff hotspot looks really similar in my appartment, but at distance it seems to not matter.

Also I want to point out that for me, the MN10 SF INcan bulb and MN11 incan bulb (125 and 225 lumens, respectively) look VERY similar to me for throw in this same circumstance.

I will say that I am running the Malkoff on my platform for several reasons now:

Build quality
Beam is VERY smooth
Heat sinking is vastly superior
I really like how Gene has embedded all of the electronics in epoxy.
It is unique and I like high-quality unique stuff

I know that the M60 pulls .82 ma on 2 CR123a'S, and puts out an HONEST 220-240 lumens.

Does anyone know what the Cree Q5 Optics HQ setup pulls/puts out honestly? I saw that big thread and it was not listed. (I do know regulated runtime is quoted at 2 hours instead of the 1.5 hours for the M60, leading me to believe that it does not put out as much)

N/Apower

Enlightened
PS. Colors look good with my Malkoff

4gf8m.jpg

2yullhg.jpg

Sorry, camera phone and 220+ lumen light.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the M60 pulls .82 ma on 2 CR123a'S, and puts out an HONEST 220-240 lumens.

Does anyone know what the Cree Q5 Optics HQ setup pulls/puts out honestly? I saw that big thread and it was not listed. (I do know regulated runtime is quoted at 2 hours instead of the 1.5 hours for the M60, leading me to believe that it does not put out as much)

I measured 0.53A at the tailcap using two AW Li-ion secondary cells vs. 0.73A at the tailcap using two Duracell 123A primary cells. See my review here. You'd have to ask OpticsHQ as to what current is being delivered to the emitter. But for 256 emitter lumens, I would think that would require at least 1A forward current, and possibly more assuming a Cree Q5 lumen rating of 107 lumens at 350 mA and 220% relative luminous flux at 1000 mA.