Fenix TK20 vs. Task Force 2C Cree: THROW

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hey, for anyone who has both these lights, does the TK20 outthrow the TF2CC when it's on the 150 lm turbo mode?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried the two side by side outdoors, but I've taken them each out with me while running at night. They seem to throw about the same.

Somebody told me that the lux values are rougly equal.

I might be able to get some outdoor shots this weekend if it'll ever stop raining...

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Awesome, thanks for the info Stress Test. Considering various beamshots, it seems like the TK20 also has a tighter beam than the 8 degree beam on the TF..

rockz4532

Enlightened
just a noob here, but if the TF2C has a larger optic than the tk20, then doesnt it have more throw? i dont think the tk20 has the throw of a magled, before considering the TF2c

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thanks for the info Stress Test. Considering various beamshots, it seems like the TK20 also has a tighter beam than the 8 degree beam on the TF..

I'd agree with that. The TF does seem to have a wider spill beam, I'm guessing due to the led being closer to the surface of the lens in the columnator (how the heck do you spell it??!)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a noob here, but if the TF2C has a larger optic than the tk20, then doesnt it have more throw? i dont think the tk20 has the throw of a magled, before considering the TF2c

I've got a Mag Led 3D, and it out throws the TF, which probably means it out throws the TK20 also, but I haven't compared those two side by side before. If I remember right, lux on the 3D is ~7500, the TK20 is ~6100 (per flashlightreviews and light-reviews).

It should be noted that it's MUCH easier to actually see at night with the TF or TK20, because there are much more lumens hitting everywhere and not just in the center spot.

PS: Stand by for some quick indoor beamshots tonight

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D MagLed, Task Force 2C cree, Fenix TK20. Fresh alkalines in the mag and TF, Rayovac Hybrids in the TK20. You can see that the TF has a softer, less defined spill than the TK20. What you can't see is that the TF has a very faint, very broad spill that comes out almost 180 degrees from the lens.

Mag3D

Task Force 2C cree

TK20

Oops, forgot the disclaimer.....

WARNING, WARNING!!! NON-PROFESSIONAL BEAMSHOT PHOTOS!! hahah

The camera was set to "daylight" white balance, but everything else was "auto"

Last edited:

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I've compared my mag running a terralux dropin on 6AA running against a tk20 and the throw is roughly the same. It's hard to tell with the tk20 tint as it makes things pop out more.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Wow, thanks even more for the beamshots, they're pretty nice! I see you have a cool white Task Force.. I was lucky enough to get a warm one, and selected one with a perfect beam by looking into the bezel before purchasing it in Lowe's. A trained eye can somewhat predict what the beam from an LED flashlight will look like by looking directly into the bezel, and subtly altering the observation angle.. When you can see the yellow of the phosphor only directly looking into the bezel / angles near directly into it, it will have good throw. Any sign of blank spots where you see no yellow from the phosphor's reflection / refraction in the reflector / optic most likely means that the beam will have flaws.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the TF I've got is very blue compared to the TK20. I really didn't notice it much before but I was surprised by how noticeable it is in the photos. Really, it doesn't make much difference in most cases; Like I said I've used both for running at night and they both do fine. I do notice that things to me appear a little bit "fuzzy" with the blue light of the TF.

I'd say the reasons to get the TK20 instead of the TF would be only if you want/need something smaller, lighter, and more robust, and don't mind the shorter runtime on high.

The TF is still a great bargain light for ~30 bucks that puts out a TON of light for the cost!

A little side story...

I guess I'd gotten used to the TF and my other bright lights. I was talking to a guy at work who also runs and I mentioned how I would run at night with a light. I showed him the TF and was talking about the pros and cons. He was looking it over and found the switch on the end, and turned it on. Fortunately it was pointed at the wall and not his eyes! :laughing: He said something like "Holy cow that's bright!" and shined it around the walls and ceiling. I'd forgotten how that when most people hear "led light" they think of the 5mm low power stuff, and aren't expecting such brightness out of that one little led! :poof: