I need a headlamp recommendation

addictedmatt

Enlightened
My father in law is an exterminator, and mentioned that he could use a headlamp at work. I would like to buy him one for christmas, but I'm not sure where to start. He would need it to have some throw so he could spot vermin across dark rooms. It would need AA or AAA batteries, and I would like to keep it under $50. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Princeton Tec EOS. Without a doubt. The newer one is better but either is great. Runs on 3 AAA batteries. Great headlamp.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the larger APEX model

larger (but common) batteries, 4 of them.
Light is also brighter

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought: For spotting vermins across a dark room I would prefer a hand held lamp. Just way more comfortable to scan a room / area with a handheld then with a headlamp.

Buy both. :thumbsup:

I never go into my attic with just a headlamp. I always have a backup light.

naked2

Enlightened
I have two EOSs, one for work that I don't mind getting scratched up, and one that I've kept pristine for backpacking (I only get to go once or twice a year).
But since I bought my Zebralight H30, I haven't touched either! Way brighter, way lighter (hardly know I'm wearing it!), better rechargeable batteries.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you lucked out and got the newer one in the old packaging. They are on sale on the outlet site because they are clearing out old stock. The older ones are about 1/3 as bright. They claim to be 25 lumens though they are really at about 17 or 18. The new EOS is a real 50 lumens with about the same current draw as the old one. The first batch of new EOS headlights came in the old packaging. Two of mine came like this. I don't think REI realized that when they had them on sale for $30 at the time. They were probably trying to clear out old stock then too. There is a chance that you'll luck out and get the new one. The new one has a frosted optic and a smaller l.e.d. The old one has a clear optic with a one watt l.e.d. with a six sided figure in it. You may have ordered the old EOS and would probably be disappointed in it's output and narrower beam. Good luck.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy - I was looking for a headlamp and went with the 50 lumen rebel EOS over the petzls.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the EOS. My EOS rocks! I was lucky enough to get one from marketplace and modded it with a newer cree emitter. Definitley a best buy as far as headlamps go. For a lighter weight headlamp I have a Rayovac 1AA but its runtime is severely limited at 25 mintues to dead with eneloops.