Weird EX10 problem

type-x

Newly Enlightened
Hi there just received my new ex10 today, and now I have a problem its kinda hard to explain but I found a youtube video that shows the EXACT problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQHZ1wMH-Q . What should I do? I really want to try and avoid sending it back as it took one week to arrive and drove me insane! Oh btw what type of oring do the ex10 use silicon or nitrile, all I have is teflon flouropolymer grease by finish line would that be safe to use on the orings from the ex10?

Thanks

Last edited:

type-x

Newly Enlightened
Nevermind problem solved turns out that your not suppose to tighten the head completely otherwise it will start flickering and "malfunctioning"

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Nevermind problem solved turns out that your not suppose to tighten the head completely otherwise it will start flickering and "malfunctioning"
Sounds like a malfunction to me. Both my EX10 and D10, when ramping up or down, stop at the end of the ramping sequence and retain the chosen level with no flickering or any other funny stuff and this is with either head fully tightened or slightly loosened. I´ve been using Finish Line teflon grease on my O rings- works just fine.:twothumbs

litetube

Enlightened
That doesnt sound right Typex. You should be able to tighten the head down without that happening, that is not normal .

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your weird problem perhaps do to the kind of battery you are using? It sounds like that to me. A rechargable, other than AW brand, will be a bit long for the flashlight, and the light might not work correctly with the head tightened. Try a primary in the light and I'll bet it will work fine even with the head tightened.

type-x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input guys, don't have any rechargeable I'm using sanyo CR123A lithium (made in Japan). Just an update I've changed the oring from the head and now the problem seem to be rectified, re lubed all components aswell. I'm guessing with the original lube (kinda thick) the piston was getting "stuck" causing the flickering. I can now tighten the head completely without the unit "malfunctioning".

Thanks

Budman231

Enlightened
I have the same problem ! I just changed out my bezel and O ring last week with one purchased from 7777. I'll try a smaller O ring.

litetube

Enlightened
changed out the bezel? are we talking the new Ti one from Russtang? I havnt had any problems with that bezel . It comes with a special replacement oring.

Budman231

Enlightened
changed out the bezel? are we talking the new Ti one from Russtang? I havnt had any problems with that bezel . It comes with a special replacement oring.

Yes. Since I installed that and the oring I have had the issue. Loosening the bezel calms the problem down but makes me nervous about loosing the bezel.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Yes. Since I installed that and the oring I have had the issue. Loosening the bezel calms the problem down but makes me nervous about loosing the bezel.
Have you tried using the origional o-ring? As the origional bezel has a little gap between its inside rim and the top of the tube when screwed down tight, the only variable that I can think of would be the o-ring- slightly different hardness or diameter causing more (or less?) pressure inside IMHO. I hope you find a workable solution.

litetube

Enlightened
I took my Ex10 Bezel off and forgot to put the window back in , classic me, and the light would only go on high . Maybe there is something to the spacing requirements in the head. Once I had the window back in all was ok.