Next SureFire E-series

matt0

Enlightened
I have a gift card to Bass Pro shop and I've been thinking about buying a new light soon. I really love my SF E1B so I figured I'd get another E-series light.

The 4 lights I've been looking at are:
L1..........65/10 lumens
E1L..........3/45 lumens
E2L..........3/60 lumens
E2DL.......120/5 lumens

The L1 has a nice UI but it seems a little large for a 1 cell light. If I'm gonna go with a bigger light, I want it to at least have a 2nd battery for extra juice.
The E1L is the same size as my E1B which is already a great EDC size but I would like to have a 2 cell E-body to have more "lego" options.
The E2L is the one I've really been wanting for some time. Long running and still pretty good output. My E1B is usually plenty bright. If I know I need something brighter, I'll bring a separate light.
I haven't really considered the E2DL mainly b/c my E1B is bright enough but I don't want to rule it out.

As it stands, the E2L is my choice but since they're all somewhat similar levels of output and similar price, I could still change my mind.

My question to those of you that have some of these lights, Which one would you pick? If you have one but wish you had a different one, which would you get and why would you switch? I've seen some beamshots of them and from what I can tell, the L1 is pretty close to the E1B (80/5 lumens) and so I'm guessing the E2L is also pretty close in terms of output.

Help me decide CPF.

FWIW: I prefer runtime over brightness and I will be powering it with primary CR123's

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime over brightness? Go for the E2L. Get a black E2L and you can run the head on the E1B's body with a 3.7v rechargeable cell.

paintballdad

Enlightened
If the longest runtime is what you're after then the E2L wins with 6 hrs on high. But my suggestion will be for the E2DL.

All your choices have the same TIR optic and similar outputs so beam patterns and throw will be close. The E2DL has the scalloped tail standing tailcap while the other 3 has the purtruding tailcap like the E1B. A bit more versatile since you can swap tailcaps and if you ever need your E1B to tailstand you'll be covered. I have an E2DL and i'm amazed at how bright and throwy this 120 lumen light can be. Just my 2 cents.

matt0

Enlightened
I would love an E2L black. I'd have to build it piece by piece and wouldn't be able to use my gift card then. I have an extra tailcap from my E1B and an extra black incan E-head so a black 2 cell body would match up well.

I'm not a big fan of the crenelated bezel/tailcap on the E2DL but it's not a deal breaker. I do like the tailstanding switch though (Z68 on my E1B)

Also, I remember seeing the runtime graph for the E2L saying 6hrs at 60 lumen regulated output. Anyone know the low output's runtime? What about the E1L, how long is the output regulated?

Thanks

paintballdad

Enlightened
Here are the specs from Surefire's catalog.

E1L 3 lumens/40 hrs
45 lumens/4 hrs

E2L 3 lumens/100 hrs
60 lumens/6 hrs

E2DL 5 lumens/76 hrs
120 lumens/2 hrs

L1 10 lumens/16 hrs
65 lumens/1.5 hrs

matt0

Enlightened
Where did you find those numbers at?

On their website, the E1L says 45 lumens for 8.5hrs and for the E2L, 60 lumens for 11hrs.

I'm downloading the 2008 catalog so I'll check that...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they'd lose the modes for the E2L and ED2L. What is the point of 3 to 5 lumens of output and 100-76hrs of runtime? Unless you're into spelunking with Surefires, or get caught on a desert island for weeks at a time with only one set of batteries. Or you're really stingy with batteries. :crackup:

paintballdad

Enlightened
Yep, it's from their downloadable catalog. There seems to be difference in specs between the website and the catalog. I quoted the catalog to be on the conservative side. The website might have the latest updated figures though.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
There's one thing that surprises me. The E2L and E2DL. The E2DL has 50% more lumens with a runtime of 2 hrs, So if you half that you'd get 60 lumens @ 4 hrs. Both use 2 cells, but the E2L has a runtime of 6 hrs @ 60 lumens. What am I missing?

Actually there's another one that surprises me. The E1B runtime. SF claims 1.3 hrs (78 minutes) but with chao's review, the runtime graph shows after 130 minutes, output is at 20%.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189713

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's one thing that surprises me. The E2L and E2DL. The E2DL has 50% more lumens with a runtime of 2 hrs, So if you half that you'd get 60 lumens @ 4 hrs. Both use 2 cells, but the E2L has a runtime of 6 hrs @ 60 lumens. What am I missing?

Actually there's another one that surprises me. The E1B runtime. SF claims 1.3 hrs (78 minutes) but with chao's review, the runtime graph shows after 130 minutes, output is at 20%.

Lower current draw is easier on the cells, leading to more amp hours, but not enough for that disparity, I'm not sure what those specs are all about.

I don't really understand Surefire's runtime specs. The incan runtime specs are solid, but the LED specs have always been a little 'off' and have gradually become stranger. I trust their lumen specs, the runtime specs seem more open to interpretation. Which is funny because the opposite used to be more true.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
I would probably go with the E2L for its friendlier look and less sharp ends, longer clip, and it having low come first before hi, which is contrary to the E1B you already have. I guess it would be "more different" than having the E1B and E2DL which dont get me wrong is a GREAT torch! Eehh, I don't know, just a quick thought...

seale_navy

Enlightened
well i think the e2l is a very nice design. The e2dl is nice too but it hsa more of a fierce look...

plus with the e2dl is u do drop ur light on the ground, the flashlight will not be as mint condition if u were to drop a e2l due to the sharp crenelated bezel since they are thin and sharp, the are prone to get dented and anodizing at that area will wear out easily since anodizing is not particular strong at sharp edges..

well this is just another way to look at it..

plus 60 lumens for 6 hours... 60 lumens is bright enough for camping and stuff..plus u ll save cost on the batteries..

though i must admit that e2dl is significantly brighter than E1B, but e2dl is a e2dl. Its a defender series, so it needs to be bright.. plus u dont wanna be caught up with checking in ur e2dl in ur luggage since it has some sharp edges and stuff.. with the e2l ur safe to carry wherever u go...

plus u already have a tactical light of 80 lumes with the E1B...

another thought.. u might want to opt for the L4. its a great light but im not too sure of the regulation of the L4. I couldnt find anything on cpf for L4 regulation nor ed2l regulation chart..

cruisemissile

Enlightened
if it was me, I would buy my SF light cheaper somewhere else., lapolicegear and wholesalemarineproducts have a few good deals.
i would save my Bass Pro gift cert for something else you can get a good deal on.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED's are less efficient when they are driven harder.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW: I prefer runtime over brightness ....

By all means, get the E2L. It runs at full brightness for many hours and doesn't get warm or hot. It (and the Inova T1-MP) are the long runtime lights I use during nightly walks.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I have all of those, and they are all great. Besides runtime and brightness, do note the different UIs:

E1B and E2DL - first high, then low;
E1L and E2L - first low, then high;
L1 - best UI ever. And although it is bigger, that makes for a very confortable grip.

As said, all have the TIR optic and similar beam patterns. E1B and E2DL are black, others are grey. E1B has a distinctive clip, E2DL has crenelated bezel and is able to tailstand.

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
I went ahead and got an E2L. So far I really like it. The HA matches up very nicely and fit/finish is superb. It actually seems brighter than my E1B on both levels and has a slightly warmer tint than my already warm E1B.

Thanks for all the input!

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
yeah- your gonna love that E2L one of the best production lights ever made!!