So, what's the latest news on the Photon Rex?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away for a while (short, um, forced vacation sorta became a longer voluntary one), so I haven't kept up to date much.
Last I heard the LRI people had fixed most of the problems with the Rex, but I don't know if the overdischarge problem was fixed.

I ask because a friend who doesn't know the first thing about flashlights has asked me to choose a general purpose, small, lightweight flashlight for her, with an absolute maximum expense limit of about €20.

First thought was Fenix E01, but since it would be her only light (she's not exactly interested in building a collection...) I figured some more POWAH would be a good thing, hence the Rex.

I could get a Cree or SSC from one of the usual cheap sites, but I'm worried about the reliability. I laugh at stuff like reworking the contacts and see small malfunctions as interesting challenges, but if my friend's new light didn't work properly she would just be disappointed.

Aaanyway: I figure the ReX is straightforward enough to operate even for a total newbie, but I need to know if it'll still kill its LiIon cell if left on until the very end. Any other news would also be great.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I e-mailed CFR lights before I got mine, they said they sent all of the old ones back to LRI and got newer ones. I've had no problems so far with mine. They also have the best price I could find a 19.95 USD shipped.

max52

Newly Enlightened
I bought 3 from three different sources. 2 of the three were defective. LRI has apparently corrected the problems. They are great lights-very bright. I would think that the REX market is primarily outdoorsmen, enthusiasts, Etc. The REX requires more learning and maintenance (charging process) than the normal individual would normally spend on a light. Flashaholics will love it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the charging process was simple. Clip on charging... thing, put magnets on cell, wait. Hmm. Perhaps I could simplify it by adapting the charging thing to a regulated plugpack.

Latest posts