ARRGGHHH!!! I actually lost something in the SNOW!! (Snowy Fenix Tomb content)

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
It never snows here! :thinking: This is the first real lingering snowfall that we have had here in over 20 years. It is blowing giant, wet, roughly inch long flakes and nearly 2 inches of wet snow have accumulated on top of everything. Schools closed, and even worked called for a snow day. Unreal! Normally it is 60ish degrees this time of year.

So needless to say, when I pulled my keys out of my pocket this morning, the head of my E01 went sailing into the unnatural white wasteland. Of course, I didn't notice this at the time. I turned to walk back to the house and there is this forlorn AAA lithium sitting on the concrete. No sign of the head. :poof: Winter Wonderland indeed! :sick2:

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
The good news is that it will melt soon. I'm over here in central TX and it's cold but the sun is shining strong and will be nearly 60 degrees this afternoon. Depending on where you are in LA, sunshine can't be too far away.

Think of this as a durability test on your light! :oops:

Just plant a flag so you will know the area to search when the thaw comes.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I know, I am not so much worried about it from the practical standpoint as I am from the ironic. I mean what are the odds!??! Things are already starting to melt here and the world is changing from White Christmas to Mud Icee. I should be able to find it later this afternoon. If not, well, time to order a blue or orange one so I can find it next time it snows! :naughty:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there was a thread on here where a guy lost his Surefire L4 in the snow and it ended up going through the snowblower!!
Pretty sure it still worked but was badly damaged.

Hope ya find it!

D-Dog

Enlightened
I am sure you will find it, however, I would let it sit on a radiator or somewhere warm first just to let any melted snow which flooded the head to evaporate.

Good Luck :grin2:

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
Enjoy the snow down there. I only remember it snowing about twice during my 19 years in south La. And, I certainly don't remember it being enough to actually lose something in.

I second the idea to let it dry thoroughly before using it. Probably several days.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Two words, "metal detector".
I was called over to an old friend of my mom's to *help* her find her car keys. She had dropped them and there were big piles of leaves all around her cars so trying to find them was impossible. Whipped out my Whites 6000di metal detector and in about 15 mins I tracked them down. Lots of metal junk in lawns these days so it can take awhile even with a detector. If the head came off get a blue or UV led light and go out there when it is dark and if the head lands right you may see the emitter light up yellow.

pipsqueakspace

Newly Enlightened
It is blowing giant, wet, roughly inch long flakes and nearly 2 inches of wet snow have accumulated on top of everything.

lol, those of us in the northern parts of the country always get a kick out of comments like these :) 2 whole inches of snow you say? I sometimes forget that to others snow is something that's very strange and out of this world....hehe, hope you can find your flashlight though :)

ps: im jealous of your 60 degree days down there, i just made sure my snowblower was ready and working properly for another season.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party:Woohoo! It is found! It never actually made it out into the snow, but apparently rolled (or flew :whistle:) the opposite direction from the battery and ended up way up near the front door amongst all the potted plants. 100% functional and back up and running. I gotta get a slightly larger o-ring or something to tighten that head up a bit.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement! :thumbsup:

pipsqueakspace,

Well yeah, I know, not much by most people's standards, but for us it was a blizzard! :D

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened

lol, those of us in the northern parts of the country always get a kick out of comments like these :) 2 whole inches of snow you say? I sometimes forget that to others snow is something that's very strange and out of this world....hehe, hope you can find your flashlight though :)

I lived in Florida and in Colorado. 2 inches of snow on the lawn isn't much, but in southern states where there are no snow plow trucks, 2 inches on the roads makes for some very hairy driving indeed. About the same as about 12 inches in Colorado with the snow plows. The snow is also mostly slush and ice by the time it hits the roads. Also, in warmer states, people tend to drive their tires down to baldness because the most you typically have to worry about is hydroplaning. I also lived in Berkeley, CA, and once I rented a car to go skiing. They "upgraded" me to a Ford Mustang with performance summer tires. A bit slick up in the mountains to say the least... All I'm saying is that 2 inches of snow in an unprepared state is nothing to scoff at.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure it still worked but was badly damaged.

The snowblower or the light? :ohgeez::crackup:

Go outside with a blow torch, and melt the snow in the surrounding area.

I can only picture this: Some one walks by and sees a man bent over blowtorching the snow around him, the walker asks: "what in the world are you doing!" and you reply: "looking for a flashlight!":crazy::D:crackup:.

pipsqueakspace

Newly Enlightened
oh i did not mean to scoff at anything. Just a little different. Trust me, i can't breathe when the humidity goes even a little up. Just used to different things in different parts.

And i know 2 inches of snow can be quite hectic, thats actually almost even worse than like 6 inches because people don't take it seriously and the plows aren't out in full force and the streets are worse.

But glad u found your flashlight, and enjoy the snow while u can :) happy holidays

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I'm saying is that 2 inches of snow in an unprepared state is nothing to scoff at.
I grew up in the northeast. So driving sideways is almost second nature.
I lived in Knoxville, TN a few years ago. 6" of show shutdown the city. Stores were closed for days, school was out for a week. I remember going out I-40 to work. There was a line of traffic in the right hand lane going 5 mph. Police cars among them with snow chains on. The snow was packed into a solid sheet of ice. I, however, was doing 45-50 in the left hand lane with my SUV (2wd) where the snow wasn't packed. Things went just fine. If the cop wanted to chase me for "speed unsafe for conditions", he couldn't. He'd have had to radio ahead. Of course the predominant type of vehicles that were in the ditch were?????? Yup. 4x4 pickups. I went to a racing schools a few years back. In my group there was me, a guy from Michigan, and a guy from Laredo Texas. I'll give you one guess which 2 had no problems around the skid pad.