Les Stroud retires from Survivorman

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stating that he is getting older, and that starving his body, and lugging 50 lbs of cameras around at the same time is getting harder and harder to recover from Les Stroud has announced his retirement frm Survivorman. The last two episodes will be shown this week and next on Discovery. Sad, I like the show, much better than Man Against Wild, but I am feeling my age too so I can well understand, lol.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
He makes me laugh, somehow he seems more real than Bear Grylls. Especiallly when he pulls his harmonica out, he is something else.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Tonight's episode in the outback of southern Australia was pretty decent. At least he ate properly with some wild edibles, grubs, and a 8-12 crawfish. I wish he would have stayed at his first location and caught some more before moving on. I'd like to see him implement some more primitive weapons but since the series is almost over with, I suppose that won't be happening.

Last one is on Friday the 19th. It looks like he's in the rain forest again but I didn't catch the exact location. Last time he practically starved in the rain forest. Hopefully he improved his situation this time. We'll see.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Having to constantly lug around and set up camera equipment isn't part of surviving in the wild. Les once admitted that he kept running into other people while filming the show. Other people as in strangers not connected to the show. Basically folks who offered to help him. But he had to decline, since he wasn't done with filming the show for the required number of days. Once again, not realistic.

He also put his body through Hell. An excellent show. But I think he made the right decision.

WDR65

Enlightened
I too hate to see him go too but I can undertand. It can't be easy doing it all yourself and while I enjoy Bear Grylls's show also I find I respect Les more for his one man operation.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to see some of the episode where he went hunting with a friend and had a gun, an ATV, and a GPS. The mistakes he made were huge.
Mistake #1: He let his GPS go dead overnight by leaving it on.
Mistake #2: He left his shelter and ATV to go blindly looking for his friend.
One thing he did right is agreed beforehand on a signal to locate his friend (three shots from the gun).
Biggest mistake #3: Fired the gun forward in the direction of his friend instead of up into a tree.
He could have hurt somebody.

Burgess

Flashaholic
The way i took it, the "mistake" of running down his GPS batteries
was simply part of the "lost in the woods" scenario.

Really enjoyed Les and his shows.

I'm hoping that Discovery puts him on another (different) show.

"Being Prepared" is always timely and handy.

Especially today !

:thumbsup:
_

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to see some of the episode where he went hunting with a friend and had a gun, an ATV, and a GPS. The mistakes he made were huge.
One thing he did right is agreed beforehand on a signal to locate his friend (three shots from the gun).
Biggest mistake #3: Fired the gun forward in the direction of his friend instead of up into a tree.

The GPS and ATV were all part of the show, if you watched other shows he did very similar things. In the one he "accidently" let his kayak float away. In another he "fell" off of his dogsled. He does not make much effort to hide that it was on purpose in effect to show what can happen accidently very easily without thinking.

As far as the direction of his shot, it wouldbe rather hard to tell exactly which direction he fired in as he carried his own cameras and postitions them himself. He could have actually fired into a tree as one could not tell where the muzzle was actually pointed or what wa in front of it.

Patriot

Flashaholic

He stated that he was simulating the mistake that an average hunter might make. It's part of the show just like when he runs out of gasoline in the Sahara desert... he's only simulating the scenario. I was paying close attention to the angle of his shot also but decided that I had no way of determining how close the actual angle really was. He does seems like a reasonably safety conscious person and I suspect that he considered his friend's safety.

I also noticed that it seemed that they were somewhat knowingly moving away from the rescuers, probably because Les sensed that they were going to be located too rapidly and he still had to make a show out of it.