RA-85 twisty vs. SF E1B beam?

camaro09

Enlightened
Ok, quick question. The Ra-85 has a narrower beam than the floody Ra-100, and the E1B is kinda known to have a little throw its self. I am wondering if anyone could tell me if the beam on the Ra-85 and E1B are comparable, or if one is brighter or tighter a beam than the other. I have the E1B and am thinking bout getting the Ra-85. Thanks

Last edited:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Ok, quick question. The Ra-85 has a narrower beam than the floody Ra-100, and the E1B is kinda known to have a little throw its self. I am wondering if anyone could tell me if the beam on the Ra-85 and E1B are comparable, or if one is brighter or tighter a beam than the other. I have the E1B and am thinking bout getting the Ra-85. Thanks

To me the E1B has a bit more throw and has quite a bit narrower spill..

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that my E1B has A LOT more throw than my 85-TR and the E1B spot is much much bigger than the 85-TR...

The beam patterns are really really different.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The SF E-Series TIR that is used in the E1B is a little wonder. Not a beauty, but simply one of the most amazing photon mangement systems available.

The spot is big and thorws very well and illuminates a much better field of vision that all reflectors I have met. Also, the spill is slowly fading in intensity from inner to outer zone, which is very pleasing to the eye and supports the spot in a marvellous manner as the inner regions of the spill throw quite well, too. The beam is not wide, which means it looses almost nothing to a broad and pale spill. All the light is used in a great beam. This one has one of the best beams available.

The Twisty has a reflectored beam in a classival sense and is difficult to compare. I had a 120 Twisty, and it got destroyed by the E1B.

The E1B also destroys my U2, U2A and L5. OK, to be fair, it doesn't destry them, but it is of comparable utility outside of not better. And it is a one cell light.

bernie

camaro09

Enlightened
WOW...... that was I think the most poetic thing that has ever been written about a SF lol. I also have the 120 and a NT 120, but both claim floodier beams. The 85 says a narrower beam pattern and i love my E1B, so i was just wondering if they compared at all in any way to each other?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while ago I campared them here and here. Pretty much what others have said in this thread already. Both nice lights, but really very different.