Lubricant

Eric_M

Enlightened
Just thought I'd share a lubricnat I found that works better than any I've tried before. It is Loctite Silicone lubricant, a 100% silicone grease that really made a difference in my lights that twist on and off and seal with o-rings. It's the only thing that works on my Pelican that will not freeze it up. It is designed for use with o-rings. I tried them all including Super Lube. I got mine at Enco, www.use-enco.com
Part # 505-1181. It was $10.07 for a large 5.3 oz. tube.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Singer Sewing Machine Oil? It's really light and it seems to have helped a couple old Mag Lite's. Does anyone know if this stuff will be good or will it damage the O-rings over time?

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I too use silicone grease for my o-rings. Silicone grease is safe with plastics and it has no ordor or color. It also seems to preserve the rubber o-rings. I bought a tube from my local auto parts store. They usually have it packaged as silicone dielectric grease.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Silicone Dielectric grease from NAPA. It's thick, clear, slippery, and stays put. It comes in a 1.25oz tube that about 4 inches long. It costs 6 or 7 bux, but will lasts nearly forever.

Chris, if your "sewing machine" oil contains petroleum distilates, it will break down the o-rings over time..

tygger

Enlightened
MG chemicals electronics grade silicone has worked really well for me. tried super lube grease too. its okay, but silicone seems better.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slick...yes, it does contain petroleum distillates. So, it's not good to use? Will the 2-3 lights that I've put a small amount on be alright?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
you'll be OK if you clean them up real good & then lube them with the right stuff..

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Nye NyoGel 799ZC on my O-rings and the759G on my threads it is the same stuff Sure Fire uses. It works great I used Radio Shack Gel Lube in the past but the 799ZC has a better feel it is thicker.

Azreal911

Enlightened
I just went to a diving shop and asked for some silicone grease, easy as that. I thought it would be best because they really rely on o-ring seals alot for actual deep water diving. so it would be the best thing to use. oh yeah and it's 100% silicone grease in a little container works great besides making a little mess on my flashlight but i just wash the whole flashlight in the faucet anyways (it's a good test).

guncollector

Enlightened
Clarification request...

Is everyone sure that the Nye Nyogel 759G is conductive?
confused.gif

The reason I have any doubt is that a previous post by Gman indicated he had read over the 759G spec-sheet and it did not indicate any conductivity.

Also, I called Surefire yesterday (10-18-2002) to inquire about exactly what they are recommending--and the customer service rep said to use any dielectric grease. Dielectric grease by definition is non-conductive.

Please assist me in this confusion!
confused.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Ron GC---As a matter of fact, I spoke with a fellow at Nye yesterday.
The Nye 759 is NOT conductive. Lubricants that are designed for electrical switches CAN'T be conductive, he explained, because the grease would short out the switch. The lubricant is meant to act as a barrier in order to decrease oxidation of the electrical contacts and allow the switch mechanisms to slide more easily.---Marc

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ok..I'm not "unhappy", and my purchase was for a good cause, but what have we been sold? I don't have mine yet, but don't want to use the wrong stuff in the wrong place, eh?

jtivat, what do we know about this, eh? Have you been mislead...please don't take this the wrong way. I reiterate I don't want to use the different lubes improperly. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

(I wonder why my o-ring crumbled up...just joking)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok here is the deal. If you go through the links I have provided (In the Nye Lube for sale threads) you will see all the info you need. There is one from PK him self explaining it. Then there is a PDF on the 759G conductive lubricant. The short story for the 759G are as follows it does not directly conduct electricity however is does improve the electrical contact between metal parts and protect them. I will look up the PDF and threads and post them here.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also TIA ships paper work verifying that these Lubricants are what they claim to be. I would be happy to fax these at anyone's request.
smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I said I wasn't "unhappy"...(double negative). Several forum members have used them and are happy. With jt's verification (how many times have you had to explain this?...), I'm going to use it as I understood it's use when I bought it. Thanks for the clarification.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
ARGH! Inside the maglite manual it said to use "petroleum jelly" for all the threads and O-rings. I guess that's how they make their money selling spare parts...

guncollector

Enlightened
I have no doubt of the veracity of PK/Surefire using Nye NyoGel 799ZC (for O-rings), and 759G (for the threads). I believe Jeff 100%.

jtivat writes:
The short story for the 759G are as follows it does not directly conduct electricity however is does improve the electrical contact between metal parts and protect them. I will look up the PDF and threads and post them here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This seems to be consistent with the info I have: the fact that Gman & MicroE indicate 759G itself is not conductive and the fact that Surefire recommends dielectric grease (non-conductive) on the threads.

I'm have no doubt that 759G has some special properties that Surefire finds suited to their application.

I have an email into PK asking him to clarify what exactly those properties are. Hopefully we'll have an answer from up on high soon.
wink.gif