Infrared Light under 50$

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, as the title says, one of my friends is looking for an infrared light for some sort of photography
it has to be under 50$ and give no or almost no visible light , and use standard batteries.. no lithium-ion, lithium.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2 with a 3W IR dropin from DX? There's a thing on b/s/t with camo G2s for $25, and if they're sold out, the store's substituting yellow/black ones for the same price. All told, should be about $40, and a bit of a wait (module ships from China)

Oh wait, that thing glows pretty good... may be a good starting place though; I'm told that certain combinations of filter gels will block all visible light while passing IR for a really cheap low-pass filter.

Aha! Here it is.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh.. I've seen that, but are there any options in which no modding is required, eg, all in one package?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh.. I've seen that, but are there any options in which no modding is required, eg, all in one package?

solarforce sells at ebay (solarforcestore) their L-2 flashlight with a IR drop-in...it needs 3.6-8.4V so if you want to run with Ni-Mh batts you will also buy extenders to make it 3xNiMh.

though I do not see the reason why avoid lithiums....

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure how hard that 'modding' is, but I can see how it's a pain in the neck to assemble the parts. I really do think it's the best bang for the buck in IR LED lights, though.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, thanks for responding.

the problem is.. my friend isn't really a flashaholic, he just needs a quick light that he probably wont be using for too long.

I don't think he'll want to convert to li-ions.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite sells an IR filter, you just slap it on the end of your standard C or D light. Easy enough?

http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CDIR_Filter

That one is like 20$. I know I saw one before that was quite a bit more money, like over $100, and it was nearly black.

Here is another:
http://www.mscelectronics.com/nightvision.htm
Notice they also sell a square plastic filter for the same thing.

Streamlight also has one for spotlights, a brighter but more expensive option.

*edit* here is the expensive black one I was talking about.
http://www.irawoods.com/Maglite-Infrared-Lens-Covert-w-Holder-C-or-D-Cell
I don't know why it is so much more expensive, I have to assume it does something better :)

I don't know a lot about photography, but I thought the more common way to do this was traditional lights and an IR pass filter on the camera??

Last edited: