Energy Generating Piezo Electric Floors

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: Energy Generating Pizo Electric Floors

Perfect example of thinking outside the box! I was actually surprised how much energy they said this could generate (they said 1400 watts kW per day but I'm sure they meant kw-hr). BTW, it's spelled piezo.

Actually, lots of these types of ideas are pretty nonintrusive. Many even pay for themselves in the long run. I have a confession to make. Most of my incentive for going "green" is that I'm a cheap SOB. I like to spend as little money as possible on things I have to spend money on. In quite a few cases the energy saving alternative ends up costing less in the long run. I went completely LED this year for Christmas for example (second year in a row but last year I only had about 800 lights):

LED_Xmas_Front_Yard_4.jpg

2112 lights, 135 watts. The miniature incandescent would have used about 940 watts. The lights are on 7 hours a days for about 45 days. LED saves about 250 kW-hrs, or $70, annually at our current electric rates. I purchased some sets last year and some this year. Total cost was something like $200. That's about three years to break even. After that it's all gravy. Another plus is not having to waste literally hours each year replacing burnt out bulbs. That was an annual ritual I can do without. 2 or 3 lamps failed last year but they were easy to find as the rest of the string remained lit. Normal number of bulb failures for my old incandescent strings was something like 10% annually. Colors with LED are more vivid also. Perfect example of the newer, "eco-friendly" (BTW, I hate that term) thing being superior in every way to what it replaces.

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened

FYI your picture is too big, the limit is 800x600 Pixels (although I think rules might say 800x800). I also use LED Christmas lights in my bedroom, the colors are more pure than faded incandescent bulbs.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

FYI your picture is too big, the limit is 800x600 Pixels (although I think rules might say 800x800). I also use LED Christmas lights in my bedroom, the colors are more pure than faded incandescent bulbs.
Fixed although I always thought the limit was 1024x768.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

went all LED for Christmas lighting too. I like the fact I can run WAY more lights now without a higher energy bill!!!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

all those millions of moving bodies definitely are ripe for energy farming.
If I were emperor I'd have everyone wear magnets in their shoes and put coils in the sidewalks everywhere.
..and what about propeller hats? would those work?

Last edited:

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Another source of energy not being used is heath spas. I've seen TV commercials of all those pretty people working those machines and thought it would be great to harness all that fat being burned..........

At the very least, it could provide lighting for the gym...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Another source of energy not being used is heath spas. I've seen TV commercials of all those pretty people working those machines and thought it would be great to harness all that fat being burned..........

At the very least, it could provide lighting for the gym...
Not sure if you were serious (and I'm suspecting you were) but this would really be a no-brainer to have the resistance mechanisms in all the bikes, treadmills, ski machines et al powering the lights, and possibly more in a spa.

I never stopped to look at those mats at the ticket gates so later today I'm going to on the lookout for one! :tinfoil:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Perfect example of thinking outside the box! I was actually surprised how much energy they said this could generate (they said 1400 watts kW per day but I'm sure they meant kw-hr). BTW, it's spelled piezo.

I see you managed to weasle in some unrelated propaganda about LED's again! :crackup:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they make those things as battery chargers? I can just imagine the funny things you can say to someone acting as the power source for your battery charger using those panels. These are on the top of the list.

"The batteries aren't done charging yet. Keep riverdancing."

"I know you're running on empty, but my batteries aren't topped off yet. Don't stop jumping rope."

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
+1 on UncleFester's post. I've often wondered if it would be feasible to mod a bike light generator to charge my batteries while I'm using my bike on my stationary trainer. I'm on it a lot now that it's colder and it would make my lumens even more guilt-free...

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
TedTheLed - thanks for the link! Very interesting. When I was younger I remember reading a story about a guy who would only let his children watch tv if they generated the power themselves with a bike driven generator he had built. I guess his kids are all grown up now.